• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Recent content by David Lamb

  1. David Lamb

    Women are Not to Teach or Usurp Authority...

    Thanks. I agree. I hope you didn't think I was arguing in favour of women pastors!
  2. David Lamb

    Women are Not to Teach or Usurp Authority...

    Well, in a sense, pastors are not to dominate over the flock: NKJV 1Pe 5:1 The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: 1Pe 5:2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you...
  3. David Lamb

    Women are Not to Teach or Usurp Authority...

    Thanks for replying. I would say that if a woman assumes authority over a man, then she is stepping over the biblical line: 1Ti 2:12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. Incidentally, that cannot mean "absolute silence", because Paul also...
  4. David Lamb

    Women are Not to Teach or Usurp Authority...

    I wonder who you mean by "we". Certainly I have heard women as well as men giving their testimony, but I have never been in a church (either as a member or a visitor) where there has been any "lead vocalist" of either sex. Plenty of women Sunday School teachers, but as I understand it, Sunday...
  5. David Lamb

    Applauding in a church service

    Yes, and it is quite natural to applaud entertainers. But worship services are not to entertain us.
  6. David Lamb

    Applauding in a church service

    Whom is being applauded? I have never been in a church service involving applause, but I have occasionally seen services on television which including applause, invariable after somebody (or a group of people) has put on a performance of some kind, so the applause was, I imagine, for the...
  7. David Lamb

    The Genesis 3 "serpent" Not An Actual Snake

    -I would say that "Satan" is certainly used as a name. For example: NKJV Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND HIM ONLY YOU SHALL SERVE.' " Yes, "Satan" has a meaning, "adversary", but so do all names in...
  8. David Lamb

    The KJV is all I understand

    I think worship includes music, but we worship God in prayer, and in reading and hearing His word. I agree that some modern hymns (thankfully not all) are repetitive, and the words don't have much depth of meaning. I have never been in a church which has somebody called a worship leader.
  9. David Lamb

    NKJV Luke 1:35, Oops

    The whole context is the angel Gabriel telling Mary that she will bear a Son. Mary asks how such a thing could be, since she does not know (in the sense of having intimate relations with) a man. Whether or not the words "of thee" are included in Gabriel's reply in verse 35, the context shows...
  10. David Lamb

    Is the KJV too difficult?

    No they don't. It is just that current English uses the same word for second person singular as for second person plural. Besides, what about I/me, he/him, she/her and it/its? They are all singular pronouns and there are plenty of them in all English translations of the Bible.
  11. David Lamb

    Holy Spirit in OT believers, or upon OT believers?

    Well there were plenty of people in the Old Testament who had the Holy Spirit. Just a few examples: NKJV Isa 63:11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea With the shepherd of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy...
  12. David Lamb

    Holy Spirit in OT believers, or upon OT believers?

    Yet we read that John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit long before he baptised Jesus: NKJV Luk 1:15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.
  13. David Lamb

    James 2 explained.

    I certainly did not mean to ignore grace, Christ's blood, or God Himself as having vital roles in justification. Sorry if I gave such an impression.
  14. David Lamb

    James 2 explained.

    No, but every sinner who is justified is saved, and every sinner who is save has been justified.
  15. David Lamb

    James 2 explained.

    Why do we need the word "alone" to be specified, when Ephesians 2 says that we are saved by grace, through faith, not of works? Are you suggesting something else besides grace (by which, according to Ephesians, we are saved, and works, by which Ephesians states we are not saved? NKJV Eph 2:8...
Top