1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

‘Godzilla Minus One’ Is Highest-Grossing Japanese Film In U.S. History

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Dec 9, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Godzilla Minus One is among the best movies I have ever seen. Period.

"So strong is the reception that Toho is actually increasing the number of screens to 2,540 in order to meet demand.
    Godzilla Minus One has become one of the must-see movies of the year, with strong and growing word of mouth as well as repeat business, and the fact it’s not just a mind-blowing giant monster sci-fi/horror spectacle but also a powerful dramatic character story makes it stand out in a marketplace that feels a bit stagnant lately."

- rest at ‘Godzilla Minus One’ Is Highest-Grossing Japanese Film In U.S. History (forbes.com)

#1 KenH, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just went to the movie theater and watched "Godzilla Minus One" for the second time. Since I knew what the Godzilla action was, I concentrated more on the human story. I got so much more out of it this time. What a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT movie this is!!!!

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This movie is Japanese so it has subtitles, but I have all of the previous Godzilla movies on DVD and I prefer to watch the Japanese versions with English subtitles anyway. I don't find it difficult to get used to at all in just a very few minutes, if even that long. I like doing so way better than listening to it dubbed into English. Especially the 1954 original compared to the "Americanized" version with Raymond Burr in it. The 1954 Japanese version is a much darker movie compared to the "Americanized" version.

By the way, the Pluto app, with its myriad of channels of various types(I have it on my Roku), has a dedicated channel for Godzilla(and other Japanese kaiju) movies, and the movies generally are in Japanese with subtitles.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This sounds so good on speakers or headphones with good bass. They used both the main melody from the 1954 original Godzilla movie and the main melody from 1962’s “King Kong vs. Godzilla”. 4 minutes, 48 seconds long.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent approximately 8 minute review:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More fantastic news about "Godzilla Minus One":

"Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color will be in U.S. theaters starting Friday, Jan. 26. Both versions of the film will end their theatrical run on Feb. 1.

The black and white version was released in Japan on Jan. 12.

“I was very happy that the North American audience embraced Godzilla Minus One,” said Takashi Yamazaki, director, writer and VFX supervisor.And now I am very pleased to be able to release a black-and-white version for North America as well. Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color will bring a new and visceral experience to audiences.”

The remastering was complex process, he said, and the black and white gives the film, and the monster, a realistic documentary-like feel that’s scarier than color.

The film which opened Dec. 1 has made close to $51 million at U.S. box office, the highest grossing Japanese live action or animated film released Stateside and the no. 5 highest grossing non-English language film at the U.S. box office."

- rest of article at ‘Godzilla Minus One’, Now In Black And White, Sets U.S. Theatrical Run – Deadline

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    GODZILLA MINUS ONE/MINUS COLOR Official Trailer