1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A good question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the heart-felt question of one believer -
    ...do 'slacking soul-winners' result in MORE people going to hell? ...

...do diligent soul-winners result in MORE people going to heaven?
    The Exhaustive Determinist answer is no, God determined those going to heaven, and thus the rest not going to heaven before creation.

The Scriptural answer is yes, diligent evangelism "hastens the day" thus more people per time interval, so the end of the age occurs sooner, resulting in less people not going to heaven.

Two very different gospels...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is correct in your opinion?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the third paragraph of the OP presented the correct answer.

4. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said “I have lost none”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two different gospels with the same results and the third answer is wrong too ... Do you honestly think that the Eternal Salvation of Gods people are in their hands?... Then Jesus Christ is dead in vain... First of all you have the wrong gospel, pen, ink and paper won't save you... The Living Gospel Jesus Christ of flesh and blood will and does... Eternal Salvation is in the hands of the Savior never the sinner... God's criteria is better than ours and as scripture says:

Matthew 19: 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently a poster thinks someone given to Christ for salvation could be lost. Nope But God gives individuals to Christ for salvation when He transfers them into Christ's spiritual body. Ditto posts 5, 6 and 7.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On day a Calvinist is going to surprise me and actually address my view, rather than a strawman misrepresentation.

Do slacking soul-winners result in more people going to Hades and Gehenna? Yes according to scripture.
    Do diligent soul-winners result in more people going to heaven? The time to reach the number God has set for members of His people is unchanged, but the time to reach that number is decreased.
    The Exhaustive Determinist view is unbiblical and wrong.

Is eternal salvation of God's people in their hands. If I had a nickel for every time a Calvinist has made that false charge, I could go to the store.

Did anyone say or suggest Jesus is dead? Nope. That Jesus sacrifice was in vain? Nope. That pen, ink and paper could save someone? Nope.

The Triune God saves those of His choosing.

Did the poster say why it is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom than someone more needful? Nope

With God, all salvations are indeed possible.

Human witnesses acting as ambassadors of Christ, till ground, plant, water and these actions are used by God to increase the harvest.

Unless you believe in a different gospel.

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide scripture that says diligent evangelism “hastens the day” and results in less people not going to heaven.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His Charles Finney Systematic Theology tells him that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2Pe 3:11-12
    Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!

"Holy conduct and godliness includes diligent evangelism, and therefore "hastens the coming of t he day of God. .

#13 Van, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  14. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van

how often do you share the Gospel?

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you applying to become my disciple or just making an effort at ridicule?

I have certainly shared my understanding of the gospel, but I expect the naysayers to claim it was another gospel. When I taught Sunday School, I shared the gospel, or parts of it every week to several individuals, some children, or youths, but also adults.
    I was an AWANA leader/director over two age groups of boys for several years. My witness at work was by example of Christian behavior and I have been told I presented Christ's compassion and kindness. Only God knows if my efforts helped produce eternal rewards or results in a nice fire. But, I do look forward to meeting my family in heaven, my "eternal rewards."

16. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Total misunderstanding. Sorry Van. It was meant as a rhetorical question

bottom line, none of us share the Gospel as we should.

God is still glorified and Christ will claim all of His own

g/p

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the comment. It doesn’t address the statement on limiting the number of people that don’t go to heaven, but I’ll address has been posted.

I’m not sure what version is being quoting, but the version from this board says “looking for and hastening unto” the coming of the Lord. That is not the same as hastening the day He returns.

Peter was, in context, speaking of their impatient attitudes toward the 2nd coming probably because unbelievers mocked them as if Christ delayed.

We see Peter’s “1000 years as a day” and Christ will return as a thief in the night comments and so on.

This is Peter reflecting Christ’s own commands to live our lives holy and blameless as if Christ’s return is imminent.

In short, this verse, in context, does not support the claim of “hastening the day” of Christ’s return.

peace to you

Edit to add: A quick look at Greek reference online shows “hastening unto…” instead of hastening the day.

#17 canadyjd, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) By hastening the return of Christ, fewer people would go to Hades and Gehenna. And I addressed this more than once before.

2) 2 Peter 3:11-12
    Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!

"Holy conduct and godliness" includes diligent evangelism, and therefore the verse does support that "hastening the day" is accomplished by diligent evangelism.

3) As far as the King James family of versions having "unto the" no difference is found in the underlying Greek text, as their translation simply adds the word "unto" to their translation of a definite article, whereas nearly everybody else simply goes with "the." However, the NKJV simply drops the unto and goes with the more accurate "the."

4) Peter's inspired words speak for themselves, scripture means what it say. In a three point sermon, you do not say the Pastor did not mean anything by points two and three because he was speaking about point one in the same sermon.

5) Living our lives "holy and blameless" includes our efforts at "diligent evangelism."

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter does not emphasize evangelism at all. Peter is concerned with professing believers being deceived and stumbling.

Peter encourages believers to grow in faith. In 2 Peter 1:4 or so, Peter expresses his desire they grow in faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity (love).

Peter does not mention evangelism at all.

To claim evangelism must be part of Peter’s teaching in 2 Peter, even though it isn’t mentioned, and then to push further that such evangelism must apply to “hastening” unto the coming of Christ… building a major end times doctrine, is simply an inappropriate exegesis of the text.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 1:38
    He *said to them, “Let's go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may also preach there; for this is why I came.”

Mark 3:14
    And He appointed twelve, so that they would be with Him and that He could send them out to preach,

Mark 16:15
    And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Note that many believe Mark's gospel is based primarily on the eyewitness testimony of Peter.

If we are diligent to do all that Christ commanded, 2 Peter 3:2, we cannot avoid Christ's call to be His ambassadors.

And I see you once again employ the absurdity that if one point is made, avoid stumbling, other points can be ignored. This is not a sound position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.