1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ambiguous Words lead Us into Temptation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are five words frequently found in our New Testaments, translating Greek words with more than one meaning.

1) Baptism - does this refer to our water baptism in obedience to Christ, or our spiritual baptism into Christ?
    2) Sanctification - does this refer to being set apart spiritually into Christ, or being progressively conformed to the image of Christ?
    3) Called - does this refer to being invited to put our trust in Christ, or being spiritually transferred into Christ by God?
    4) Hell - does this refer to Hades or to Gehenna or to Tartarus?
    5) Things - does this refer to all things or some of the things?​

We all should know that some Christians believe these words mean one thing in a verse, while other Christians believe something else is meant. And this divide leads to squabbles and factions and other hindrances to the ministry of Christ.

It would seem possible to remove or minimize the confusion in our translations by addressing the specific meaning the translators believe is the intended meaning. For example, rather than saying baptize say either water baptize or spiritually baptize. Say positional sanctification or progressive sanctification. Remove "hell" and use either Hades, Gehenna or Tartarus as indicated by the text.
    Address the specific things in view, or if unknown translate using "these thing" to suggest the reader to consider the contextual meaning.

#1 Van, Jun 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naaaahhhhhh, "Progressive sanctification vs. Positional Sanctification?" That is a theological construct. You don't translate by theological conviction, but by linguistic rules and constructs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another taint so post. If the verse is referring to being spiritually set apart in Christ, positional sanctification makes that clear.
    If the verse is referring to our growing more mature, progressive sanctification works too.

Romans 6:19 NASB
    I am speaking]in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented the parts of your body as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your body’s parts as slaves to righteousness, resulting in [progressive] sanctification.

Romans 6:22
    But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in [positional] sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.​

Now we might use a different English word or phrase for each meaning. For example positional could be "placement in Christ" and progressive could be growth in behavioral holiness. I am sure others could come up with other words or phrases.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NASB mistranslates Gehenna as "hell" nine times.
    Matthew 5:22, 5:29, 5:30, 10:28,18:9, 23:15, 23:33;
    Mark 9:43, 9:45, 9:47;
    Luke 12:5;
    James 3:6.

In addition to the above mistranslations, the KJV also mistranslates Hades as "hell" 10 times.

Hades and Gehenna are two very different locations and to translate them both as "hell" creates needless ambiguity and facilitates speculative interpretations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently some do not think avoiding needless ambiguity is worthwhile. I do.

7. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Words are ambiguous unless in context. There is no inherent meaning in words without context.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you publish a Bible that corrects all the mistranslations, ambiguities, errors and other things you are always finding wrong with the available Bible versions we have available today?
    You seem to have all the answers for these thing you are pointing out.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Growth in behavioral holiness" huh? What are you trying to do --write a psychological brief?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have sidestepped my point which by Bible Study we can find flaws in various translations and discern a better understanding of God's word.

Do you disagree?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to put to fine a point on it, but progressive sanctification seems a concept with which you are unfamiliar.

12. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are as dense as a wall. You used the phrase "growth in behavioral holiness." You sound as if you are into psychology rather than having a firm grip on biblical fundamentals.

13. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't side step. All your study has payed off it seems. You can share that with us. So why don't you publish a Bible that corrects all the mistranslations, ambiguities, errors and other things you are always finding wrong with the available Bible versions we have available today?
    You seem to have all the answers for these thing you are pointing out.

Do you disagree?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still no evidence of any comprehension of the concept of "progressive sanctification." But plenty of "you, you, you" violations of board decorum.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I give up Sir. I asked a question and was answered with a question. With bible study we can improve our understanding of God's word, and one of the ways is to discern poor or corrupt translation choices.

I am asking you to study to show yourself approved, and you are asking me to translate and publish the entire bible. Sounds like something the Biden DOJ would say is justified.

16. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, the above still applies to you. And you are under the delusion that that phrase is an acceptable translation for Romans 6:19. What a hoot (as you used to often say).

17. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand my King James Bible. I don’t need it dumbed down.

18. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, sir, are not allowed to do that.

I have asked you many direct questions that you refuse to answer, but reply with questions.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever wonder why these pundits think petty personal remarks indicate they have Christ as the Lord of their lives and word choices.

With bible study we can improve our understanding of God's word, and one of the ways is to discern poor or corrupt translation choices.

I am asking you to study to show yourself approved, and you are asking me to translate and publish the entire bible. Sounds like something the Biden DOJ would say is justified.

20. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, Van, Van. Your OP was supposed to be about "Eliminating Vague, Arcane And Obscure Words."

You have not done so. Perhaps you might want to piggyback on my thread Words Leaving The English Language In Bible Translations. Or you could start a similar thread on this topic. But you clearly are not addressing the point of your very own thread here. Very strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.