1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An 11-year-old boy caught a fish with 'human-like teeth' in an Oklahoma pond

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Piper, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Janna Clinton was sitting on her back porch watching her son Charlie, 11, fish in a pond behind their house in Oklahoma this past weekend when he suddenly started yelling for her.

"He was screaming, 'Oh my God, mom! Oh my God!' " Clinton told NPR.

"I thought he was just being dramatic, to be honest," she added.

Then she got a close look at Charlie's alarmingly weird catch.

"Obviously being in a neighborhood pond, we're used to just catching a few bass or catfish," she said. "I mean, nothing with human-like teeth."

It turned out that Charlie had landed a pacu, a fish that's a cousin of the piranha — and whose outsized teeth have long struck fear in swimmers. The pacu is a native of South America, but this one was swimming in a small pond in the Clintons' suburb north of Oklahoma City.

"He said it put up a heck of a fight," Janna told NPR, saying her son reeled the fish in on his own. "He was the only one down there fishing and he did a great job."

The pacu was released back into the water
    The Clintons posted a photo of the unusual fish to their neighborhood Facebook page and got in touch with a game warden. But before learning of its provenance, they returned the pacu to the water.

"It's a catch and release pond," Janna said, "so we unfortunately did release it back because we didn't know any better at the time."

People who later recognized the fish said it was invasive and shouldn't be released, she said, adding, "We made a mistake there."

Since then, Charlie has been stalking the fish.

"He did stay at the ponds pretty late that night trying to catch it again," Janna said, adding that her son has been rising early and staying at the pond late, hoping to get another bite from that pacu.

If Charlie succeeds, a neighbor has offered to eat the pacu. But Janna Clinton has other ideas.

"If he catches it again, we're going to get it mounted for him. I think that's a heck of a prize and he deserves it," she said. "I told him we'd make it look like the fish was smiling so you could see its teeth."

upload_2023-7-20_9-4-36.png

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/19/1188377962/pacu-fish-piranha-human-teeth-boy-oklahoma

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if there is a story of which a human has fish teeth?:D :rolleyes: :Roflmao

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm - the picture in post # 1 does look like Mr. Limbert!

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s the coupling with the previous two that makes this paragraph a bit humorous (no pun intended).

In reality, the red-bellied pacu and related species actually rely on nuts and seeds from fruit trees and plants as a main food source, according to Animal Diversity Web, a project by the University of Michigan's school of zoology. Still, the animals are omnivores — and their appetite grows with their size.​

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a pacu perspective, if there were such a thing, it would be quite likely. Perhaps AI will make the leap. :Wink

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmm - when I was in radio advertising - I did ask one of the DJ's if he could talk like a fish! And Tommy did an excellent job.! - It was a commercial for a fish restaurant.