1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chosen Childlessness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 17, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Do you view this as a problem?

Al Mohler has written several items on this topic, the following is from his blog:

Appearance on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees" Last Night -- Controversy Over Childlessness

I appeared last night on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees to talk about the controversy over chosen childlessness as a lifestyle. Anderson Cooper anchored the show from Baghdad while Heidi Collins served as interviewer for the segment on childlessness.

The segment began with a production feature on Jennifer Shawne and Allan Rapp, described as "married five years and child-free," and several other couples who have made a similar decision -- to marry but not to have children. Jennifer Shawne is the author of Baby Not on Board.

I was interviewed along with Madelyn Cain, author of The Childless Revolution. Here is a transcript of our exchange:

COLLINS: Some experts predict the number of married couples without children could go up 50 percent by the end of the decade. So what does it say about our future and ourselves? I'm joined now by two guests. From Louisville, Kentucky, we welcome Doctor Al Mohler, he is the president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And in Los Angeles, Madelyn Cain, she is the author of the book, "The Childless Revolution: What it means to be childless today". We welcome both of you. Albert, why do you disagree with the child-free lifestyle?

ALBERT MOHLER, PRES., SO. BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY: Well, in the first place I find it incredibly sad. I think most viewers watching that segment that you just very capably put forth, just demonstrates that this is really about avoiding the responsibilities of parenthood. And I find that profoundly sad. You know, obviously, there is a tremendous moral point to be made here. These couples -- well, they have to be very thankful that their parents didn't make the same decision. And society depends upon parenthood and the raising of children being seen as a norm for married couples and as something that is of social value.

COLLINS: But, Albert, isn't it -- pardon the interruption. Isn't it dangerous to assume that everyone can be a good parent?

MOHLER: Well, you know, I think what is more dangerous is to assume that we're going to say that people can be adults, and be recognized as responsible adults, who don't even aspire to grow up, to be mature enough to have children. I mean, parenthood is a part of helping to create adults. We grow up by having our children. Without that responsibility we have a generation of perpetual adolescents, just growing old.

For the remainder of the article:

http://www.albertmohler.com/blog.php

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since my wife and I chose to be childless, no, I don't view this as a problem. We were also 38 and 33 years old when we got married so I am sure that factored into it.

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

If we end up with a society that is 50 percent childless we will not survive. The problems in Europe and here with immigration will magnified 1000 times. The Muslims would be glad to populate our country for us. I would go so far as to say any nation that maintains a 50 percent childless rate is probably an evil country. Alarming! And remember that this can only be achieved with abortifacient birth control pills and surgical Abortions. Evil indeed!

4. PastorSBC1303

I am not sure I view it as a problem either. I really had never thought much about it until reading some of the articles by Mohler.

Mohler seems to push the idea that it is a married couples God given responsibility to have children.

I have thought a lot about this and I am just not sure yet. So I am interested in hearing from others.

5. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Yes, I was listening on XM. I tried to get through but the lines were jammed. Here's my take on this "lifestyle". If they aren't going to reproduce, at least they will be extinct in about 50 years because I don't think this will catch on too well. Most couple, Christian or not, want to have children. It is a natural desire.

My wife and I have 3 with one in the oven now. No amount of money could ever get me to not choose to have them. Those who choose this are truly missing out on a blessing!

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't say it's a problem as much as those who choose not to have children based on career or other selfish reasons missing out on a great blessing. I like what the psalmist said:

Psa 127:3 Sons are indeed a heritage from the LORD, children, a reward .
    Psa 127:4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the sons born in one's youth.
    Psa 127:5 Happy is the man who has filled his quiver with them. Such men will never be put to shame when they speak with their enemies at the city gate.

Having my first child (a son) this past fall, I agree 100% with the psalmist. What a blessing children are :D ! I used to be one of those who was not sure whether I wanted children or not (based on selfishness, I admit). I asked my wife last night after how many should we "stop". :D

7. PastorSBC1303

My wife and I have 4 daughters. Children are a great blessing from the Lord. Choosing childlessness was never even a thought for us, we both knew we wanted children.

Is "be fruitful and multiply" a God given responsibilty to married couples to have children?

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I am not sure all parties agree that some folks may have good reason to remain childless. But a society in which 50 of everyone is childless. That is evil.

9. PastorSBC1303

I guess I am not following why it is "evil"? I can see someone saying it is wrong and making a case for it....but calling it evil?

10. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

My wife and I have 3 with one in the oven now. No amount of money could ever get me to not choose to have them. Those who choose not to have children are truly missing out on a blessing!

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I guess I am not following why it is "evil"? I can see someone saying it is wrong and making a case for it....but calling it evil? "-------------------------------------------------------------

I am concentrating on that statement that in the future we will be a society that is 50 percent childless. Even if the "be fruitful is a general admonition, 50 percent would definantly violate it. It defies our nature. And as I said it can only be achieved by chemical and surgical means, which is evil.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn’t start a family until I was 33 and what a blessing it was to me. If I knew then what I know now I would have got my act together sooner and started earlier…had more, but I hope to have a lot of grandkids someday.

13. Sunnydays

Sunnydays New Member

I see a bigger problem with those who choose to have children and then don't take care of them.

Funny how those who can't afford them have so many, while those who can afford them, don't have any or only one. :confused:

Why bring a child into this world if you are going to resent it?

14. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I didn’t start a family until I was 33 and what a blessing it was to me. If I knew then what I know now I would have got my act together sooner and started earlier…had more, but I hope to have a lot of grandkids someday."----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe a lot of folks will be saying this in the future. The Idea the life is more fun childless is, for most folks, an illusion. problem is, by the time they realize it, it is often to late.

15. PastorSBC1303

A question in this debate that I have not seen answered is this: if chosen childlessness is wrong, then at what point is it no longer wrong? If a couple has 1 child is that good? 2? 3? 4?

My wife and I have chosen to stop with 4. Is that wrong? Should we continue having more children?

16. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I guess it's a matter of faith. We couldn't "afford" our first child but here we are with #4 in the oven and we know if God blesses us with a child, He'll provide the means to take care of him/her. Sure, we've sacrificed a lot just to feed them sometimes but I would never want to go back!

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"Some experts predict the number of married couples without children could go up 50 percent by the end of the decade. "----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed it said "go up 50 percent" not "up to 50 percent". My bad.

I think it is impossable to judge indivdual families and there motives. So no, I don't think it is wrong unless there reasons are wrong. However, a society that refuses to have children in any kind of large scale manner is evil in my opinion.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think there is a "right" number of children to have. The psalmist says a "full quiver" is a blessing, so I would assume that is more than one.

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard they're cheaper by the dozen.

20. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

PatorSBC, an argument could be made that if you are using birth control pills "stop at four" you are achieving this by abortion, sense the BCP's we use are abortofacient.