1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ Knows His Sheep, They Were Everlasting Beloved of His Father

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jul 3, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.— John 10:27.

All our mercies in time and eternity flow from Jesus' knowing us as his sheep. To all such salvation is certain; both as to present grace and future glory. As a shepherd knoweth every sheep committed to his care; so doth our good shepherd. All his sheep were everlastingly beloved of the Father, "chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world," and given to Jesus in the eternal counsel. He became surety for them, he redeemed them to God by his own blood. Hence he calls them "MY SHEEP,"—mine by gift—mine by redemption. Thus he hath a distinct knowledge of them, and special property in them. For "died Jesus as a fool dieth?" spilt he his precious blood at uncertainty? paid he the dreadful debt of law and justice at a peradventure, whether any soul would receive the eternal benefit or not? Surely no: for his undertaking was in infinite wisdom and counsel, as well as wonderful in grace and love. Jesus well knew the nature-state of his sheep. They were all gone astray and turned every one to his own way. They would all count their shepherd an enemy and fly from him as a destroyer, if left to themselves. But Jesus saith, I am the good shepherd. He inclines their ears to hear, and their hearts to believe in him; to come to him as such; and to follow him. They have the properties of his own sheep; they give evidence of it. They live upon his word and feed upon his love. O alas! what deplorable circumstances were we all in when this sweet voice first reached our ears! when this powerful voice affected our hearts! It was a sound of glad tidings, love, and salvation to lost sheep indeed. It proved effectual to recall our souls from the dangerous and destructive paths in which we had lost ourselves. Truly we also may say of Jesus, "never man spake like this man." The power of his voice begets obedience; and, like the blind man restored to sight, we follow Jesus as the shepherd and bishop of our souls. We know he hath the words of eternal life. To whom then should we go but to him? and it is the delight of our souls to see the footsteps of our shepherd, that we may tread therein. Though, O soul, thou canst not see whether thy name is wrote in the Lamb's book of life; yet in the light of the Spirit thou mayest read thy name in the book of grace, if thou hast heard the voice of Jesus, and art following him. Thou mayest safely conclude, "the Lord is MY shepherd, I shall not want."—Psalms 23:1.

The Lord my shepherd is,
    I shall be well supply'd;
    Since he is mine, and I am his,
    What can I want beside?

He leads me to the place
    Where heav'nly pasture grows,
    Where living waters gently pass,
    And full salvation flows.

- William Mason, A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God, Volume 1, July 3

#1 KenH, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! :) There are many different breeds of sheep in the world, but our Lord's sheep are a special breed.
    They are distinguished by their ears and their feet. They hear the Shepherd's voice and they follow Him (John 10:27).

• Like Like x 3
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When do sheep become Christ's "My Sheep?" When God transfers believing individuals into His spiritual body, Colossians 1:13.

Thus we existed in the realm of darkness before we became His sheep. Thus once vessels of wrath until we obtained mercy.

Can a charge be brought against God's elect? Nope, so our individual election for salvation occurs after we once existed as vessels of wrath (children of wrath).

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 1 Tim 1:12,13

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. John 10:11
    whom God did set forth a mercy seat, through the faith in his blood, for the shewing forth of His righteousness, because of the passing over of the bygone sins in the forbearance of God -- for the shewing forth of His righteousness in the present time, for His being righteous, and declaring him righteous who is of the faith of Jesus. Rom 3:25,26

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did God the Father elect His sheep and give to Christ to be their Surety? Before the foundation of the world.

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

• Like Like x 2
  6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And never forget, Jesus calls His sheep BY NAME before they follow Him.

He doesn’t make a general call to all sheep and accepts those that follow Him.

He makes a specific call to specific sheep (BY NAME) and when He calls them, they respond by following Him.

Also note the later encounter with the Pharisees where Jesus tells them “you do not believe because you are not of My sheep”

Very clear, the reason they do not believe is because they are not one of His sheep. He does not say “you are not My sheep because you don’t believe”, but just the opposite. The reason for their unbelief, according to Jesus, is they are not one of His sheep.

This is one of the clearest statements of election (prior to faith) found in scripture, though many will reject the clear teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ for man-centered doctrine.

peace to you

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Sheep do not become goats and goats do not become sheep.

• Agree Agree x 1