1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Unsaved Children Disqualify and Elder, Deacon or Pastor?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steve of Brownsburg, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Steve of Brownsburg

Steve of Brownsburg New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (KJV) If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly Titus 1:6.
    I am not trying to start an argument just get some help on this verse. I have two children both gone and grown. Both made professions of faith and only one is now in church and the other isn't sure where they stand with God.
    We had a family come and showed interest and the father wanted to talk to me about our church. He asked my stand on this verse and I told him what I believed and he said" you may need to step down based on this verse".
    I quote John Grill in whose position I take. " having faithful children; legitimate ones, born in lawful wedlock, in the same sense as such are called godly and holy, in Mal_2:15 1Co_7:14 for by faithful children cannot be meant converted ones, or true believers in Christ; for it is not in the power of men to make their children such; and their not being so can never be an objection to their being elders, if otherwise qualified; at most the phrase can only intend, that they should be brought up in the faith, in the principles, doctrines, and ways of Christianity, or in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.".
    In Grace .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once they are grown and leave the house they are no longer children.
    The verse implies that unruly, undisciplined children are the chief problem.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, technically it does not disqualify. If a person has kids that are still unsaved at 10, 11, 12 yoa; then he should seriously consider leaving ministry and rearing his kids. I remember James Dobson telling of his father doing that. That is my view as a non Calvinist. I guess to a Calvinist, it would not matter. The kid is either elect or non elect.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a Sunday School teacher - one in teen class was the pastors son - whom never profess salvation.
    In addition, the pastors wife,never came to Sunday School - and often was absent from Morning Worship.

5. Steve of Brownsburg

Steve of Brownsburg New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Calvinist, but I do believe salvation is of the Lord. We do not know who the elect are, but all men are candidates because they are sinners and the gospel is to be preached to all men for God has promised to save His people Mt 1:21.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When evaluating difficult assertions (Elders must have born anew kids) we should look at all the verses addressing the same or a similar subject.

1 Timothy 3:4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

Could it be that the Titus 1:6 passage is presenting the same requirement? I think so.

We till the ground, plant the seed, water and nurture, but it is God alone who causes the increase in His chosen people.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revisiting this thread:

In the NT when a man is converted the phrase "and his household" is occasionally noted.
    e.g. John 4:53; Acts 16:34; 18:8.

The thought then was to be faithful to the master of the house, you would follow him.
    It can still be observed occasionally today in primitive areas where an elder is converted and the village turns toward Christ.

Perhaps, while children are under your care (if they are "faithful" and obedient) they are under your protection and carry a special kind of grace.

Rob

8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you clearly don't understand Calvinism or you wouldn't make this statement. Second, why are you throwing this statement in this thread to begin with?

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The old ignorance assertion emerges again. Calvinist or Ignorant. The reason it is in the thread is because it is extremely important as to how one would handle the situation.
    Tell me how I fail to understand this area of Calvinism. The snarky "ignorance" claims are old. I can promise you that what you are about to "enlighten" me on, I already know.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you are being deceptive about what I actually said.

#10 Reformed1689, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I summed you up accurately. You throw "ignorant" around instead of dealing with specifics.

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said witnessing doesn't matter for the Calvinist they are either elect or not. That is simply not true. The Calvinist position calls for heavy evangelism because we DO NOT KNOW who is elect or not. It demands we spread the Gospel. So no, you do not understand the Calvinist position or intentionally distort it to try and knock it down.

And you did not sum me up accurately. I in no way said that you are either a Calvinist or you are ignorant. I said you do not show an understanding of the Calvinist position. That is not the same thing. It was deceptive to say otherwise and a form of personal attack.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it depends on the "Level of Calvinism"
    There is one church I knew of where on visitation night - 20 people would attend
    Two would go out on visitation - the other 18 would stay and pray that the 2 would find the elect to whom
    they should visit that night.

Check out his link on Calvinism

How Calvinist are you ???

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take your pick LOL:

Calvinist John Grill: of course it doesn't mean they're converted or believers
    Calvinist John Calvin: it definitely means they're believers

Calvin, His Commentaries

• Like Like x 1
  15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you are the one with the personal attack
    It all boils down to understanding a false gospel. I understand Calvinism I just do not accept it as truth. This not a misunderstanding. Here you are telling others they don't understand it when it is you that doesn't understand. Calvinist have no conscious memory of election. Therefore they do not know if even they are elect. Your evanglism seems pointless because you have no good news. You tell men they can't be saved unless they are elect.
    MB

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I say "witnessing doesn't matter for the Calvinist...."? I didn't say it. I didn't imply it. You read what you wanted to hear.

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    You most certainly did imply it. What else could that statement have possibly meant?

18. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All children come into this world unsaved. Does that mean once a man is a Pastor, deacon, he can no longer have children? If that is the standard then no children should be born after becoming a Pator or deacon and no one can be a Pastor or deacon with children that have not made a profession of faith which means they are no longer toddlers but are able to speak, understand and reason.

I don't know of any text that says that all the children of a Pastor or deacon must be saved? He must have his house in order and his children in subjection. The children are to be "faithful" meaning "children not accused of riot or unruly."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you like to tell me I am lying, and then edit it to being deceptive, I will be gracious and tell you you are being deceptive.

What the statement means would be obvious to you if you were not "ignorant" of Calvinism.

Evangelism is extremely important to most Calvinists, not so much to High Calvinists, but important to most. To most Calvinists, that evangelism is different than it is for most Arminians. (From here on out, I will omit "most".) Armenians believe the free will of the person has to be persuaded to follow Christ. To an Arminiam, if a person is not responding, it is their duty to keep presenting, keep persisting, keep persuading, etc. etc. The Calvinist presents The Gospel. The Calvinist teaches the Gospel, but ultimately the decision has already been determined. There is no need to repeatedly try to sway the "free will" of the individual.

You really can't see how a Calvinist true to his doctrine and an Arminiam true to his doctrine would not handle in a different manner a 12 year old who had not converted?

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are getting way off base on this subject-
    the OP is:
    Does Unsaved Children Disqualify and Elder, Deacon or Pastor?

• Agree Agree x 3