1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Erasing Democrats

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JonC, Aug 25, 2023.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anybody noticed the push to erase Democrats from history?

The military is renaming posts named after members of the DNC.

Where I live they are renaming Ft Gordon (named after a Democrat Senator and Governor) to Ft. Eisenhower (a Republican general and President).

In VA they removed a statue of Democrat senator Jefferson Davis.

Thing is, it is Democrats erasing Democrat history.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is their racist history.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that back when the two (now old, dilapidated, past their use by date) major political parties started that the Democratic Party were the conservative party(the last great Democratic president, Grover Cleveland, was philosophically a classical liberal, or what some people call libertarian) and the Republican Party was the liberal party.

Surely you are aware that has swapped around over the past 130 years, although I submit that what passes for conservatism nowadays in the GOP is a far cry from the conservatism of people such as Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan, as both major parties are now "BIG GOVERNMENT" parties. Ronald Reagan even said, "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." I don't think that one can objectively say that about what passes for conservatism today in the GOP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. That is not exactly true.

The DNC was conservative and the GOP liberal in relation to one another and culture in general. Those terns are relative.

BUT the DNC has always been the oppressors of minority races in our nation for their gain. This has not changed.

The DNC only changed tactics when it had to.

The parties shift according to their needs. It's politics.

But enslaving majorities, whether in chains or via politics, has been constant in the DNC. What was slavery is now political indentured servitude.

That is the point of, IMHO, the DNC wanting to remove its history. It is not because they have changed but because their past betrays the present.

I'm not for the GOP either. They wanted statues of George Floyd removed.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Why would there be a statue of a George Floyd???
    A druggie with a prison record!

2) AS far as renaming Military bases - - this was done by something the Dems snuck in a military appropriations bill - to rename any base named after someone who fought for The War of Southern Independence. Some say they were traitors. If they were - so were George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and all who signed the DoI - as well any anyone who fought and/or supported the War for American Independence

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, an honest question, do you wish that the CSA had won?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will have to agree to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes
    Look at the divide today
    The North tends to be much more liberal
    where the South is much more conservative.

In fact, the CSA probably would have outlawed abortion

Was slavery an issue of the CSA - yes of course
    But there were many other issues.

When we are asked why did we fight the WoI in 1776; people automatically say:

Taxation without representation!
    But that was # 14 on the list in the DoI!
    Lots of issues were involved

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you want to live in a country where pretty much everyone agrees with you, certainly not in a country with a great divergence of opinions.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, thing is had the South won there would be no US today. We certainly would not have survived WW2, if we lasted until WW1. And before then the South would have crumbled (as Robert E Lee predicted were slavery to continue).

I disagree with @Salty in that I believe it is obvious the DNC has fought fairly hard to divide the nation for its own shortsighted gain. It was fairly united during WW1 and WW2, so we can't exactly blame division on the Union or even Republicans in general. And the Democrats racist policies made it necessary to give greater control to the Federal government (it was the Republicans who started Big Government in that sense).

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not asking to agree with everyone - but - NY - being a good example -

1) The state of NY took a Christian adoption agy to court, because they refused to consider hom0se/as and unmarried couple !
    2) Bail reform aka - no bail required
    3) Excessive Lock-down during Chinese virus
    4) Purchases of ammo for weapons will require a background check
    Which must be paid for by the buyer - & apparently must be paid for
    every time you buy ammo.
    5) Parents are not to be told if a student (regardless of age) want to go trans!
    6) Schools in NY may no longer use mascots such as Reds, Indians, Braves, and not even Warrior (even if it is a Roman warrior)
    7) ect ect, ect

These are some of the reasons, I am part of "Divide NY" This group wants NY City to be its own State.

NY City has 47% of the population - about half of the political seats (Federal and State) and ALL statewide offices, Gov, AG, Senators, ect are all D's. --- so much for diversity.

And I don't even agree with all conservatives!!!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are so disgusted with living there, why don't you move to a deep red state in the south?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! You are WAY too soft on the Republican Party.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am here. But that's because I was talking about the other side of the coin (the Democrats and their history of racism up to the present day).

The outright evil of the DNC is obvious. They wear it as a badge of pride. This makes the GOP more dangerous. The DNC and the GOP are wolves, but it is the GOP that is wearing sheep's clothing.

I wasn't being soft on the GOP. I simply wasn't talking about that party.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several reasons! (not excuses)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wouldn’t like NJ then.

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone of whom every ancestor who was in the United States during those years fought for the Confederacy, I can confidently say that they were indeed traitors to the United States. There is no other reasonable alternative.

Yes, they were traitors to England and the King. (I am also descended from a number of Revolutionary soldiers.)

That's the point.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they were both traitors - but George won and Lee lost.

Its interesting - after we beat Germany in WW II - we treated them the way that Lincoln wanted to treat the South. And now, Germany is a great ally.

If the US Govt had treated the South, the same way we treated Germany (and Japan) I don't think we would have had all the problems that existed for well over a century

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Yes, but the assassination of Lincoln and the desire of the Republicans to make Reconstruction harsh caused some of the problems.

Maybe, but another huge issue is that Germans (at least West Germany) took responsibility for their actions as a nation and took denazification quite seriously. The South continued using every social and legal opportunity to oppress former slaves and their descendants for more than 100 years after the end of the Civil War. That was probably a greater factor in the troubles of the South.

#19 Baptist Believer, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The idea of the United States being a voluntary union of states was common during that time. Each state was commonly thought of as autonomous.

Should an autonomous State that has chosen to unite with other States under one federal government decide to withdraw from that union, it is not necessarily traitorous. The question is whether that bond, once entered into, can be dissolved. The Civil War answered that question.

It is similar to the EU. Can a government withdraw from the EU once they are in the EU? At the time of the Civil War loyalties were to the state more than the Union (citizens identified their citizenship with their state).

But to the victor. Benedict Arnold would have been a hero had Britain not lost. They did, so he is a traitor. Washington would have been a traitor had the British won, but he is a revolutionary hero because the revolt was successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1