1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EV's in deep freeze

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rockytopva, Jan 16, 2024.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are legitimate concerns with EV's. There are legitimate concerns with combustion engines.

Recurrent (certainly not an anti-EV site) reported that EV's on average have a decreased range of 70%. The major loss of range was attributed to heating the cabin. Secondary to this is the battery itself. Third is a slower charging speed.

The article also mentioned that all vehicles experience issues in cold weather, but that these are temporary.

Hot weather is also a concern, especially given a grid that struggles to meet demand. Think of rolling brownouts. These typically occur at night.

Study: Winter & Cold Weather EV Range Loss in 10,000+ Cars

• Like Like x 1
  5. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting and useful article, though the 19% loss of range on their "cold weather" 250-mile test did not impress, as it compared range at 56° to that at 36°. The average daily high in mid-January here is 25° and the low in the single numbers, so I could expect a significantly greater reduction. I think in this cold climate a hybrid would make more sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like hybrids. Don't have one. Won't get one. But like the concept.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect all those folks abandoning their EVs in sub zero cold, calling their friends with gas powered cars to HELP, couldn’t care less about the blame game. Their cars needed charging. And One of the FEW places where that is possible doesn’t work.

BTW, please link to the story where motorists in gas powered cars where stranded in dangerously cold weather because the gas station ran out of gas?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to link to the story. When a power outage disabled the gas stations ability to pump gas (electric powered pumps) over several days, the cars ran out of gas. If you are not aware of this circumstance, having occurred multiple times in multiple locations, google it.

Here is one of many: Massive power outage in Taiwan sends gas stations offline, but Gogoro's electric scooter battery stations powered themselves

#8 Van, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  9. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure that was an issue in the 1998 ice storm that hit NNE and PQ. At one point, Montreal was essentially blacked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Does a "decreased range of 70% mean a loss of 70% if range (i.e. normal 240 miles, but in cold weather only 72 miles, or a decrease to 168 miles of range?

2) LFP batteries do better in cold weather, but were any of those facts reported?

3) Are the articles claiming the range loss continues permanently when the weather warms up?

4) The grid struggles because of demonic Democrat regulation. If we went back the billing process of the 1950s and 60s, we could have built a robust national grid.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I just referenced the EV site assuring that such a decrease would be temporary. Mostly it attributed it to using batteries to heat the cabin.

I like EV's, but for my purposes I prefer hybrids.

I was interested in a Grand Cherokee 4xe. You have the choice of using it as a pure EV, a pure combustion engines, or a hybrid. But when we were looking the mechanic at the dealership suggested we avoid it. So we bought a plain ole Grand Cherokee.

My primary vehicle is a Wrangler. I don't want that in an EV. If I was concerned about efficiency I wouldn't have bought a Wrangler (yea....I'm one of those people :Biggrin ).

I believe we should continue providing products for consumers, whether EV's, Hybrids, or combustion engines. I can see a use for all three.

But I think we have to be honest about the pros and cons of each.

Yes, the Democrats crush our power production. But what resources are you talking about using to increase power production in order to provide energy to EV's?

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The power generation mix includes Natural gas (from Fracking) Nuclear, and renewable (house top solar).

I drive a hybrid and would consider the new Toyota Prius Prime with its 30 mile EV range and 50 MPG 200 HP Power-plant after that.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like solar. I have them on my home. Unfortunately the only reason was government rebates (without this they wouldn't be worth it at this time).

I also like nuclear power. It is expensive, especially to start, and takes a lot of time to get a reactor online. But IMHO it is currently the best source of power.

Do you know the total cost of power consumed by EV's versus the total cost of fuel to power combustion engines (without the government artificially lowering the consumer cost using tax dollars)?

15. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person knows anything about batteries, they know the colder it is, the less efficient the batteries are.

That’s been known since batteries have existed. And of course, heating the car is a greater drain on the battery.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the colder it is the less efficient I am too. :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taiwan? Lol!!!! Really? You link to a story in Taiwan?

peace to you

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can give you some anecdotal evidence:

My son drives a Chevy Volt (a plug in hybrid.) His house does have solar power too. His annual electric bill (year before buying and year after buying his Volt) went up about $150.00, but his annual gasoline bill went down about $4000.00.

Ask yourself, with the advent of computer assistance, and cutting of red tape, how long would it take Bechtel Construction to build a standard design plant on a previously approved site? (My guess about 3 years.)

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not admit the lack of electricity renders gas stations with electric powered pumps inoperable?

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are attempting to compare Taiwan power electrical grid to US grids. The story you linked to, from Taiwan, says the electric bicycles (not cars) were running when the gas powered vehicles couldn’t get gas.

I guess the electric bicycles must have been solar powered.

I ask for a story, in the US, where owners of gas powered vehicles were left stranded, not because of weather conditions, but because a gas pump didn’t work.

Again, the story from Chicago is EV owners were abandoning their EV’s at a “fast charge” station that wouldn’t work. There are far fewer EV charging stations than gas stations.

Most power outages in the US are localized and are repaired quickly. Most folks could drive 40 miles to a service station that worked.

No need to argue. Bottom line, EV’s are built using child slave labor… they have enormous amount of heavy metal toxins that WILL leak into the environment when they rupture (like every other battery every produced will rupture), the batteries are prone to catch fire and explode, AND MOST IMPoRTANTLY, they are not needed because there is no climate change occurring.

They government is pushing EV’s. Friends of politicians are getting rich in the process.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1