1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Expanding Comphrension for Biblical Study (but also for other things)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, May 12, 2023.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having attempted several times to read and to comprehend Hebrews, I have found wanting my powers of comprehension, which, though having improved somewhat over time, still does not enable me to grasp Hebrews 1:1 without paraphrasing, being hard for me to grasp possibly because it contains five prepositional phrases attached to a verb. My question therefore is this: How can I expand my powers of comprehension to understand difficult phrasings such as the ones in Hebrews?

Thank you in advance.

#1 Guido, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What don't you understand about Hebrews 1:1?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Compare various translations.
    Translations are commentaries without the explanation. You have mentioned Paraphrased versions; versions that paraphrase a passage are often helpful in difficult passages to get a basic understanding… don’t neglect them because of their poor reputation here on the Baptistboard.

2. Read a reputable commentary. One volume commentaries probably wouldn’t give you what you desire but a commentary focused on exegesis might. Pastoral commentaries may also help.
    (I’d be slightly wary of academic commentaries that may lead you to places you might not want to go).
    [GoogleBooks often allows you to read long passages from commentaries.]

3. Don’t expect to get understanding quickly.
    Pray that the Holy Spirit may guide you into understanding.
    Sometimes an fuller understanding about a passage takes a lifetime. Be patient and persistently pursue understanding.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If trying to read in an unfamiliar language, e.g., the Elizabethan English of the KJV, that might be a problem.

But don’t neglect context. Context is extremely important in understanding any text.

And that first verse of Hebrews is not a full sentence. Try reading in sentences and paragraphs.