1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Funny the way things fall in place!

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Roy Kling, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like you all to meet a real hero of mine. He was one of my first Sunday School teachers, Bob Coleman. We all knew Bob was a Marine in WWII, but that was about it, to us he was just a good and kindly Sunday School teacher, devoted husband, and Boy Scout leader. That was a different time, town, and world.

Fast forward to 2003 and the wife and I were feeling the crunch of civilization and way too many rules bearing down upon us. We moved to this tiny village of, Enders some 20 miles away from first class townships and too many rules for a pair of hillbillies to follow. A Marine Veteran myself and member of Veteran's organizations I joined my fellows in our new village in placing flags on Veteran graves before Memorial Day and removing them just after Veteran's Day. Who do you think is buried less than half a mile from my house, but Bob Coleman, my old Sunday School teacher and his wife, Gladys. I did a search on, ''Find a grave'' and found Bob was no ordinary Marine. Bob was a Marine Raider, (special forces) attached to the 1st Raider Battalion, 1st Marine Division known as ''Edson's Raiders'' of whom F.D.R.'s son was also a member. They would go behind Japanese lines, and conduct gurlilia warfare and disrupt things for the Japanese. I believe their motto was, ''Hit em fast and hit em hard!''

We'll meet again, Bob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Bob's obituary, In World War II, he served in Co. A, First Marine Raider Battalion (Edson's Raiders) in the South Pacific and the Solomon Islands.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Semper Fi… RIP

• Like Like x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I make it a point to visit the Graves of my parents and family each Christmas, outside a suburb in Scranton ( coal Cracker land ) and each year I look up and see the doctors grave who birth me, most of my ancestors who raised me… and what a history it is, from getting off the boat to life in a coal mining community. Awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One
    One thing I noticed that the people in NE Pennsylvania are a lot nicer than they are in NW New Jersey..everyone I met in Scranton said hello and Merry Christmas to me a stranger. In New Jersey if you should pass them they turn their faces away from you, avoid eye contact and ghost you. That always stumped my parents who hailed from PA and frankly leads me to wonder about New Jersey people… not warm and I’ve been living here for 67 years. :( Maybe something in the water!

5. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well...Jersey does have a few reputations. The more you get into the country in PA the nicer the people usually are, no polluted chemical enhanced water there, they drink ''Adam's Ale'' (well or spring water) as God intended. Get into the Appalachain mountain communities west of Chambersburg and folks are more like those of West Virginia, and I've not met nicer people than those in WV.