1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Rules For "His Own Good Pleasure and For His Own Eternal Glory"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by KenH, Jul 27, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ' The Lord God omnipotent reigneth. His government is exercised over inanimate matter, over the brute beasts, over the children of men, over angels good and evil, and over Satan himself. No revolving world, no shining of star, no storm, no creature moves, no actions of men, no errands of angels, no deeds of Devil—nothing in all the vast universe can come to pass otherwise than God has eternally purposed. Here is a foundation of faith. Here is a resting place for the intellect. Here is an anchor for the soul, both sure and steadfast. It is not blind fate, unbridled evil, man or Devil, but the Lord Almighty who is ruling the world, ruling it according to His own good pleasure and for His own eternal glory.

“Ten thousand ages ere the skies
    Were into motion brought;
    All the long years and worlds to come,
    Stood present to His thought:
    There’s not a sparrow nor a worm,
    But’s found in His decrees,
    He raises monarchs to their thrones
    And sinks as He may please.” '

- excerpt from Arthur W. Pink, The Sovereignty of God

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is silly. Sin is the disavowal of God's sovereignty and God himself calls men gods.

Ps 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
    32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
    33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
    34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
    35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
    36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
    37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Jesus, according to the text, thinks these gods could know and believe that Jesus is the son of God, the very thing they were required to believe during the days of his ministry on earth.