1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Got tired of answering

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by percho, Sep 6, 2024.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC

For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. Gen 1:5
    And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. Gen 1:8
    And the evening and the morning were the third day. Gen 1:13

The third day as in the day of those scriptures?

Got me wondering again.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 12:40, . . . For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the great fish's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. . . .

Jonah 1:17, Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

#2 37818, Sep 6, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read Esther's fast in the Bible? She began a fast on one day and broke the fast the day after the next.

We'd say she fasted one day. If being specific we might say part of a day, a full day, and part of a day.

The Bible says she fasted for 3 days and 3 nights.

Our counting does not add up. Why? Because Jews considered a day and night as a unit, part of one counting as a whole.

The issue with times of days is one of interpretation. Both Jewish sects observed q4 Nisan, but by their reckoning. They simply disagreed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree Three evenings and three mornings.

BTW where did Jonah construe himself to be while in the belly of the fish?

Jonah 2:2 YLT And he saith: I called, because of my distress, to Jehovah, And He doth answer me, From the belly of sheol I have cried, Thou hast heard my voice.
    LXX
    καὶ εἶπεν ἐβόησα ἐν θλίψει μου πρὸς κύριον τὸν θεόν μου καὶ εἰσήκουσέν μου ἐκ κοιλίας ᾅδου κραυγῆς μου ἤκουσας φωνῆς μου

Where does scripture consider Christ to be when in the heart of the earth?

Acts 2:31 YLT having foreseen, he did speak concerning the rising again of the Christ, that his soul was not left to hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
    TR
    προϊδὼν ἐλάλησεν περὶ τῆς ἀναστάσεως τοῦ Χριστοῦ ὅτι οὐ κατελείφθη ἡ ψυχὴ αὐτοῦ εἰς ᾅδου, οὔδε ἡ σὰρξ αὐτοῦ εἶδεν διαφθοράν

I wonder when the soul entered ᾅδου, sheol ?

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    His soul in sheol and His body in the tomb are two different answers.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I understand that. Point?

Isn't it always down into/unto sheol/Hades

Was not the Son of Man of Matt 12 the living soul named Jesus?

Eph 4:8,9 NKJV
    Therefore He says:

“When He ascended on high,
    He led captivity captive,
    And gave gifts to men.”
    [fn]
    (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first[fn] descended into the lower parts of the earth?

Was it the body or the soul that descended into the lower parts of the earth?

Acts 2:31 NKJV “he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.

How and when did the soul Jesus depart Hades?