1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to best deal with KJV Onliest. Take 2.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Alan Gross, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    37818 started an intriguing thread and said he would deal with a KJV Onliest and "Make the case for verbal plenary inspiration of God's word when it was originally given by God as foundation to agree on. 2 Timothy 3:16-17. Proverbs 30:5. Psalms 12:6. Matthew 5:18."

I took it that 1). he wanted other suggestions on how to best deal with KJV Onliest and others may have thought 2). he just wanted us to "Make the case for verbal plenary inspiration of God's word when it was originally given by God as foundation to agree on. 2 Timothy 3:16-17. Proverbs 30:5. Psalms 12:6. Matthew 5:18."

Dunno. Either way, this is take 2 on both of them, if that's OK.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a KJVer. Not an onlyist. The KJV uses the translation "hell" in the New Testament for three diffrent places. That doen't bother me, but it is important a Bible student knows about this. One of my first studies was on the teachings of "hell" in my Bible, a KJV. 1968 BTW.

The there is the topic of unicorns. It did matter, until the KJVonlyism issue. The KJV translaters translated the singular unicorn in the plural in Deuteronomy 33:17.

#2 37818, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a KJV Superiority person. I see what you guys are thinking, now, that anybody defending the kind of sense the translators made out of the KJV, is automatically a double inspiration idolator. Cool. And you thought I was crazy.

The KJV Superiority perspective.

OK.

Hell.

Leave it to God to make fools out of the double inspiration holders and work in these tiny Minutia like how many horns the thing had and what kind of beast or beasts there should be and yet still leave it 'on the horns of a dilemma' where neither side knows for sure, but that they all know it sure doesn't prove itself to be the result of double inspiration, leaving it very questionable (using a nothing thing like a 'unicorn'!)

It could just be a common Enallage.

The Siberian Unicorn.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you missed the point of truth.

5. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, which can't help but put a huge bolder in the road to adopting a double inspiration stance, because it is inexplicable by all accounts we have available to consider.

That's why I said the following.

And what could be less Minutia than unicorn(s)?

Yes, that would a (unsubstantiated) gratuitous assertion.

The figure of metonymy would have two horns to be The two sons of Joseph, Ephraim and Manassah, who had been adopted into the family of Jacob, and appointed the founders of two distinct tribes, whose descendants in the time of Moses were become numerous and respectable in the congregation.

These were the two horns with which Joseph was to attack and subdue his enemies, and by consequence, propriety required an allusion to a creature, not with one, but with two horns” (Illustrations of the Holy Scriptures, II, pp. 191-192).

(if 'horns' indicate 'two horns-dual'(?), instead of the horns-plural of more than one one-horned beast being spoken of generically by 'unicorn' in the original language texts and all previous versions, in singular, that the KJ translators changed to 'unicorns', as having the same essential referent, to possibly avoid the confusion of a 'one-horned beast' seeming to be said to have 'horns-plural'.

That would make "horns of an unicorn [generic, assuming more than one horn being on more that one unicorn, generically spoken of as several animals] and "horns of the unicorns", the same, for the sake of explaining their differing the plural rendition in what they devoutly considered sacred territory, in their tremendously faithful execution, otherwise.)

Yes, given the original language texts were correct and truth which we assume they were, of course.

There was an inexplicable change made, from everything we know, that would be a case in point of the KJ translators not being inspired, in this instance. And one little 's' is enough of an instance to impeach that whole scheme. Good enough. Nobody told them they were inspired to start with and you would think God or somebody would have...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.
    The KJV in Deuteronomy 33:17 stands alone translating the singular animal in the plural there. It is my understanding in 1711 a translation note was added to the KJV translations notes there noting the Hebrew is unicorn.

7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

“They did encounter trouble in Deuteronomy 33:17 where the unicorn has horns, but the translators solved the problem by reading ’unicorns’” (English Bible, p. 63).

"Likely following the Greek Septuagint or Latin Vulgate or both, the earlier pre-1611 English Bibles (Wycliffe’s, Tyndale’s, Coverdale’s, Matthew’s, Great, Taverner’s, Geneva, and Bishops’) all had unicorn [singular] at Deuteronomy 33:17. At this verse, Lancelot Brenton’s 1851 English translation of the Septuagint has “unicorn” [singular] as does Henry Howard‘s 1857 English translation of the Pentateuch of the LXX.

"The 1569 Spanish Bible and 1602 Spanish Valera has unicornio [singular] at this verse. The 1611 KJV changed this noun that was singular in number in the Hebrew Masoretic text and in all the earlier English Bibles to a plural.

"The 1762 Cambridge standard KJV edition and the 1769 Oxford standard KJV edition have the following marginal note for the word unicorns: “Hebrew an unicorn.”

"The marginal note can be seen in an edition of the KJV printed in London in 1711 so it was added before 1762.

"Other KJV editions that had marginal notes such as the 1810, 1821, 1835, 1857, 1865, and 1885 Oxford editions, the 1853 American Bible Society standard edition, the 1769, 1844, 1872, 1887, and the 2005 Cambridge editions, and the 2002 Zondervan KJV Study Bible have this same marginal note at this verse.

"This marginal note in standard editions of the KJV affirms with the earlier pre-1611 English Bibles, the 1602 Spanish Valera, and the 1657 English translation of the Dutch that the Hebrew word was singular in number.

"Tristram affirmed that this marginal reading “is here undoubtedly correct so far as regards the singular number” (Natural History, p. 146)."

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE VERSE THAT DESTROYS RUCKMANISM

by Dr. R. L. Hymers, Jr.

"The Lord gave the word:
    great was the company of those that published (i.e. proclaimed) it"

(Psalm 68:11).

"I will deal with this verse under three headings:
    1. "What God "gave" us in the Bible.
    2. "How the Bible was "published" in many languages.
    3. "Why the Hebrew and Greek must be appealed to."