1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a dimes worth of difference between TMS and CBTS?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by CorpseNoMore, Jul 25, 2001.

1. CorpseNoMore

CorpseNoMore New Member

It seems Dr. Bob had a thread like this before the reconfiguration of the BBc, but I missed it, plus there is an additional dynamic now.

In a recent debate over a book covering the topic of KJV-Onlyism the sub-topic of seminaries and their respective stands entered the fray.

It is interesting that The Master's Seminary has two professors Michael A. Grisanti and Larry D. Pettegrew who are former professors from Central Baptist Theological Seminary.

Two obvious conclusions leap to my mind for this phenomena, (1)Michael A. Grisanti and Larry D. Pettegrew have "departed" from the world of IFBism... or (2) the differences between The Master's Seminary and Central Baptist Theological Seminary are so insignificant that one may transfer back and forth between the two schools with no discomfort.

What say ye all?

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: CorpseNoMore ]

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Theologically, probably not.

PHilosophically, probably so. TMS is more inclusive, where CTBS is more separatistic. TMS is Bible church oriented, where CTBS is baptistic.

The philosophy and separatism fo CTBS is probably closer to Detroit then to TMS.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that theologically Masters is probably in 99% agreement with Central, Detroit, Calvary (Lansdale) - three stong ifb seminaries.

Dr. MacArthur is very much involved in the day-to-day of the seminary, while is only on campus once a month at the college (I've been told). Faculty are almost all from ifb background.

Hence the seminary is much more conservative than the church or the college.

I'd be afraid to recommend to one of my students to go there to school. Just being in California taints good christians and turns them neo. :rolleyes:

4. tlange

tlange New Member

Hey I resent that remark made about California!! :D

I was saved there, baptized, ordained, etc in California!

Watch the low blows about my home state, Dr. Bob or I'll swing the axe towards WY :D :mad:

5. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I've been told by CBTS seminarians that most of Central's faculty would reject MacArthur's lordship salvation position. I'm sure church polity would also be an issue, depending on whether you think it's an argument over semantics or not.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MacArthur was a rival for Hyles (his Shepherd's Conference v Pastor's School) in just about every area -- but especially in expository reformed preaching v non-scriptural finneyesque psychology.

Therefore, MacArthur [the enemy] was attacked relentlessly and often without basis of fact. His position of the Blood was blown out of proportion, as was Lordship Salvation.

Ad hominem attacks against Mac took the light off the vile adulterous actions in Hammond and their soul-damning philosophy (ironically called soul-winning).

Now I am an historic ifb'er, so would line up with Central Seminary and vehemently disagree with the plurality of elders type of polity of Mac. But other than that, we (Mac, Central, and me) are in 99.9% consensus.

7. James Manley

James Manley Guest

There are in fact two Central Baptist Theological Seminaries--one IFB, one ABC (Kansas City, I believe.)

J