1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus taught The Doctrines of Grace, right?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Alan Gross, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus taught The Doctrines of Grace, right?

Then, Stick with the Stuff.

"Any person who reads the New Testament apart from a preconceived prejudice will undoubtedly come to the conclusion that Jesus and the Apostles believed, preached, and wrote about the doctrines of grace.

"These precious truths are exalted throughout the entire New Testament. In fact, the theme of the New Testament is grace.

"The very essence of the Gospel itself, is that Jesus Christ the Son of God, laid down His life, and shed his precious blood for helpless and unworthy sinners.

"Sinners, who in time are brought to spiritual life by the power of the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Word of God and drawn to saving faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ, and who are kept by the power of God.

"The very first reference to the saving work of Christ in the Gospel of Matthew comes by way of announcement when the angel of the Lord spoke to Joseph in a dream;

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people (unconditional election) from their sins (irresistible grace)"
    (Matt. 1:21).

"The New Testament opens with a declaration that Jesus would actually secure salvation for His people, the elect whom the Father gave Him before the world began. The doctrine that Armenians
    hate the most, Particular Redemption, is set forth in the very first chapter of the New Testament!

"Jesus believed that distinguishing grace was a sovereign act of God. In Matthew 11:25-27 we find him praising the Father for sovereign grace;

"
    At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

"Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him."

Again, Jesus is saying that distinguishing grace is a sovereign act of God."

"Perhaps the strongest testimony to the fact that Jesus believed the doctrines of grace is found in John chapter six after Jesus had just fed the 5000.

"The multitudes were following him because he had fed them, not because they had been spiritually attracted to Him.

"In response, Jesus tells them that He is the true bread from heaven, sent by the Father to give life to those who believe. He then explains exactly why He came in verses 37-40;

"
    All that the Father giveth me (unconditional election) shall come to me (effectual calling); and him that cometh to me (irresistible grace)I will in no wise cast out (Eternal security/preservation of the saints).

"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me
    "
    (cf. Job 23:13,14 and Dan. 4:35*).

"And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all (Total Depravity) which he hath given me (Unconditional Election) I should lose nothing
    (preservation of the saints), but should raise it up again at the last day.

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day".

"Jesus then explains that the natural man is incapable of coming to Him apart from the distinguishing, drawing power of God;

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day"
    (John 6:44).

*bonus: The Old Testament taught The Doctrines of Grace:

Job 23:13-14;

"But he is in one mind, and who can turn him?

"and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.

"For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me:

"and many such things are with him
    ."

Daniel 4:35;

"And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing:

"and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth:

"and none can stay his hand, or say unto him,

"What doest thou?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only did he teach it, he was it!... Brother Glen:)

John 1: 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus taught the Gospel of Gods Grace or the Doctrines of Grace, or what people call TULIP or Calvinism, however these are Truths revealed in scripture !

• Winner Winner x 1