1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John R. Rice and Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by 37818, Aug 26, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep meaning to post here. My students are taking a test, so this is my chance.

Dr. Bauder is on target with this article. He wrote about Rice and Graham:
    "During the 1950s no fundamentalist was closer to Billy Graham than John R. Rice. Not only was he a significant backer of Graham, but Graham also served on Rice’s board. When Graham committed himself to cooperative evangelism in 1956, no one felt the rupture more deeply than Rice. The older evangelist shed many tears when he found himself opposed to his younger protégé. But John R. Rice never, ever stopped loving Billy Graham."

I'll make just a couple of pertinent comments. First of all, Rice was asked by Graham to come and observe his Scotland campaign in 1955. Rice did so, and won a taxi driver to the Lord on the way from the airport. Graham mentioned this in his biography, Just As I Am, referring to Rice as "my old friend."

Graham also asked for prayer for the campaign: Graham wrote, asking for prayer: “I am asking you if you will ask through the pages of ‘Sword of the Lord’ that people pray. We believe that if hundreds of thousands of people all over the world will join in prayer, it could be the beginning of a genuine spiritual awakening.” (John R. Rice Papers, Southwestern BTS).

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hindsight is an interesting animal.

I find it encouraging to see how God has worked through John Rice and Billy Graham to reach the lost with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

When we look back we can often see God working through His people regardless of divisions (Whitfield and Wesley, for another example).

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. And nobody's perfect, even the famous ones of our faith.

• Like Like x 3