1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Live Upon Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, May 1, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They shall take to them every man a lamb. Exodus 12:3.

This was God’s appointed means of salvation, in a night of sore destruction. It was a display of the sovereignty of God, and the obedience of faith. Lord, enable us to bow to the one, and to learn more and more of the other. Consider, (1st.) The sovereignty of God in his severity upon his enemies, and in his goodness to his people: in destroying all the first-born of the former, and in preserving every one of the latter. And this was in a way appointed by his sovereign mercy. There is no mercy from God to any sinner, but in the way he himself appoints.
    (2d.) The obedience of faith. We do not find one Israelite destroyed. They believed God’s word, and obeyed it. They did not dare to reply against God and say, What doest thou? Why wilt thou destroy so many souls in one night? Why take a lamb, and sprinkle his blood as our protection? Why institute this sign to us only, and not to the Egyptians also? Why not give them at least a chance of salvation? Is this just? O the power of faith! It prevents such arrogant speeches. The grace of faith in the heart, subdues the enmity of the carnal mind, bows the rebellious will, stills the turbulency of nature, brings peace to the conscience, and love to the heart: For it takes and feeds upon the flesh, and trusts alone in the blood of the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sin of the world. This is God’s appointed way of salvation. O how simple, how happy is the believing soul! God and he are perfectly agreed. God says, “Take the Lamb, my beloved Son, as my free gift for your whole salvation.” The Lamb says, “My flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.” (John 6:55.) And the obedient sinner says, Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief. Dost thou believe? Hast thou experienced this? Then bless the loving Spirit, for the gift of precious faith! Faith is the gift of God. Feed by faith on the Lamb of God. Thus take, thus receive, thus live upon Christ and his fulness every day on earth, till you see his face in glory. Yet a little while and he shall come. Hebrews 10:37.

There is salvation in the Lamb,
    For sinners doom’d to die:
    I glory in His precious name,
    And to His blood I fly.

Christ is my food; my robe, my joy,
    I take Him thus by faith:
    No foes can e’er my soul destroy,
    I credit what He saith.

- excerpt from William Mason's A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2, May 1

#1 KenH, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023