1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Rock Music Not Conducive to Good Health

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Janine S. Pouliot, in The Power of Music (Vol. 13, The World & I, 05-01-1998, pp 147) reveals that rock music is of no benefit even to our bodies.

[ September 14, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, music designed to specifically induce positive emotions will have that effect. But that still does not mean the other music is bad, and we should see how "classica;" or traditional would fare. Actually, it is very similar to New Age sometimes, and what exactly this "designer" caregory is we still don't know. remember, it's the rhythm that is supposed to be all decisive, and you can have pleasant melodies with the syncopated rhythm, and we don't know if some of the designer music might have had the the "bad" rhythms.
    I can't wait until the others jump on this. Give up the science, man. As always, it always fails to take into consideration all the factors involved.

[ April 22, 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Eric B ]

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

This is odd because I've listened to rock style music since I was a kid and I am healthy as a horse mmmm.

:eek: :rolleyes: :D
    karen

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be healthy, but not because of rock music.

[ April 25, 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

5. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Oh I'm not saying rock music has made me healthy...I'm making a point that it hasn't made me unhealthy. On the other hand I will step out and say that if it were not for Christian rock music growing up and even now, I would never have made it through my teenage years, it really helped me to get thru a lot of rough issues in my life and God used that tool effectively in my life. Thank you Jesus!!! :D

karen

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron:
    First off, let me state that I do not approve of christian rock or christian rap. Nope.
    Never had. Never will. In fact, in our church we do not approve of any instrument for singing in a church capacity at all. I'm Primitive Baptist.
    However, when humans make researches, they do sometimes tend to err. And today's bad may be tomorrow's good or neutral.
    For example, 30 years ago, they said that science, specifically, medicine, found that caffeine is bad for the heart and the blood pressure.
    Well, a few years ago, I read somewhere that (what do you know) caffeine after all is beneficial to those with certain forms of heart disease.
    I have supraventricular atrial tachycardia, which means, given certain conditions, my heartbeat can go as fast as 130/minute. My doctor told me not to drink alcohol, caffeine, and to stop running.
    He shoulda told me to go hang myself. :D
    I said yeah, okay, and still drank alcohol (in moderation) and coffee (also in moderation). I no longer run because of a hairline crack in the left kneecap from a gunshot in an ambush in my country. And since that day the doctor diagnosed me with svt 25 years ago, I only had eight episodes and they were brought about by extreme stress and lack of sleep, not caffeine or alcohol.
    My point is that, when human researchers say something is not good for our body, I usually take it with a servingspoonful of salt. :D
    When the Scriptures say something is definitely not good and in line with God's will, that is definitely a must-follow.
    I have never liked heavy metal rock music, or whatever the kids of today call it, and surprisingly so with my sons (praise God_ and not because they have been exposed to the Scriptures since childhood. They just don't like it. Period.
    But, hey, you gotta like the music of Kenny G, or Barry White, or Streisand. Sure, they're not rock.
    But, what about Rod Stewart ? He's a great singer. And the slow rock beat and lyrics of Simon and Garfunkel, Don Mc'Lean, Jim Croce, James Taylor. You know, the 70's and early 80's like Abba, or, yeah, Air Supply.
    Man, we gotta hand it to them. All these dudes I named, they can sing .
    Sure, the lifestyles of some of these dudes may not be godly, but, then, how 100% godly are our own lifestyles.
    Hey, I'm on your side, man. Okay ? :D

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    pinoy,

Welcome aboard! I just posted this little study to stir the pot a little. ;)

All this this study showed was that rock music did not stimulate the production of antibodies.

9. just4christ

just4christ New Member

Hey Guys,

I would have to agree to disagree because I believe, BEING a youth praise and worship leader that you have to have different styles because different styles touch different peoples lives. Me I'm like in Love w/ Praise and Worship Music not really into Rock or Rap but just the Michael W. Smith type of Contemporary Praise and Worship. Sorry but it may be unhealthy but if they're Rockin 4 Jesus how unhealthy could it be brothers? We are not looking at the judgemental on i don't like this so i'm not allowing it in my church, but have you ever realized that its not what we WANT but its What the HOLY SPIRIT leads us to do, and that not saying, hey lets just do away w/ all the P&W stuff and just play Rock, I think you should have different varieties to suit everyone. Just like recently I visited a church that don't believe in instruments but that's cool they still do the same Praise and Worship songs just accopello.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

God Bless All No Hard Feelings just an opinion of Revelation from the Holy Spirit <-- I didn't agree w/ Rock and Rap until the Lord told me its how to reach some people and we are the Vessils that God uses.

God Bless,

Matt Inman
    http://just4christ.net

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem, Matt, is that worship music is not a "do- your- own -thing- kind-of-stuff". The Holy Spirit has spoken very sternly on this stuff.
    Read your Bible (no offense meant, I know you do.)
    Joy in the Lord does not consist of doing things our way just because we think it will be pleasing to Him, but doing things His way whether it pleases our flesh or not. Neither is the desire to do things in accordance with scripture being judgmental.
    Joy in Christ is subordinating our preferences to His will. The Bible clearly said " speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs."
    Now, to cite an example.
    The Star Spangled Banner is not only the national anthem, it is a patriotic song. And so is America
    the Beautiful. One could probably, in the privacy of his own home, sing these songs if he wants to, to the beat of heavy metal, or slow rock.
    But, I wonder if even hard rock fans will find it honoring to this country to sing this to the tune and instruments of hard rock in a public setting ?
    I don't think so.
    Hard rockers, punkers, heavy metal stuff lovers, may seem to be rebellious in their dress, music, and speech to many, but I believe they are Americans and when push comes to shove their patriotism will rise.
    Should Christians be less ?

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

They do it all the time, at concerts, sports, etc. (Not that I go to those, but I hear it on TV in passing)

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Actually there's a "Where Are They Now" show that's running on VH1 that interviewed Don MacLean.

In it, he reveals that he is a Christian and attends the Calvary Chapel pastored by Ritchie Furay, another popular 70's rocker (POCO, Manasass, Souther, Hillman, Furay Band, and one of the original members of the Eagles).

Mike

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

14. just4christ

just4christ New Member

The problem, Matt, is that worship music is not a "do- your- own -thing- kind-of-stuff". The Holy Spirit has spoken very sternly on this stuff.
    Read your Bible (no offense meant, I know you do.)
    Joy in the Lord does not consist of doing things our way just because we think it will be pleasing to Him, but doing things His way whether it pleases our flesh or not. Neither is the desire to do things in accordance with scripture being judgmental.
    Joy in Christ is subordinating our preferences to His will. The Bible clearly said " speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs."
    Now, to cite an example.
    The Star Spangled Banner is not only the national anthem, it is a patriotic song. And so is America
    the Beautiful. One could probably, in the privacy of his own home, sing these songs if he wants to, to the beat of heavy metal, or slow rock.
    But, I wonder if even hard rock fans will find it honoring to this country to sing this to the tune and instruments of hard rock in a public setting ?
    I don't think so.
    Hard rockers, punkers, heavy metal stuff lovers, may seem to be rebellious in their dress, music, and speech to many, but I believe they are Americans and when push comes to shove their patriotism will rise.
    Should Christians be less ?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Umm I don't know what your talking about but the Lord died for us on the cross and I believe that if we are doing HIS work he don't mind what type of PRAISE we give him because he says HE INHABBITS the praises of His People and if someone feels that they should sing and buzz the guitar then that's there way of praising! Also in the book of Psalms David talks about Quote un quote Singing a New Song unto the Lord! It don't say that it was done in what Hard whatever but he also got naked and danced to is that not being reverent????????? Just a comment I'm not jumpin on ya and don't hate, I don't hate ya now! But then Again I'm w/ ya'll on it talking about its on the persons level of praise whether it touches his life or not BUT it touches some peoples lives, POD what a wonderful work they've done for the Lord, JARS OF CLAY, SONIC FLOOD, many many more! If we don't go and use our gift to "WIN" Souls for Christ then you know what God's not gonna wait on US he's gonna pick the next one in line WILLING to use there gift

MAT 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

MAT 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

MAT 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

MAT 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

MAT 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

MAT 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

MAT 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

MAT 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.

MAT 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

MAT 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

MAT 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

But all I'm trying to say w/ this is don't CONDEMN the people for trying to use the gifts and talents that God has given them, I mean so lets take POD for example if we sit there and take the influence out that they had that took them out of the world then there would be some people mainly teens still out in the world, the Lord sent them for a powerful ministry w/ national exposure BRINGING more people to churches saying MAN CHRISTIANITY IS AWESOME &lt;--- I know that's what is said because I have several friends that think well the old gospel hymn book isn't doing it for me, BUT that don't mean we can come out and sing AMAZING GRACE and TURN YOUR EYES ON JESUS, reverence is all on how the person yourself feels it to be ;),

God Bless All Luvya Brotha's and Sista's

Matt Inman
    http://just4christ.net

15. Grace

Grace New Member

He he he... This makes me think of a song by Audio Adrenaline called "The Houseplant Song" He he he... just saw this and had to be silly. I normally try to stay away from these debates because I don't like to get involved in them (right Trevor? Trevor? Where's my character witness???)

16. just4christ

just4christ New Member

Hahaha

17. Grace

Grace New Member

just4christ, I take it you've heard this song, and know why it made me laugh to see this topic. ;)

18. ClassicGod.Com

ClassicGod.Com New Member

My testimony about Christian Rock Music is, that I've been living for God for almost 9 years now. I love to Praise & Worship in Church, to myself in the shower, in my car, and there is times when I love to Rock out to music with a possitive message about all sorts of good things..........put garbage in, garbage comes out, put good in, good comes out.
    So I love all styles of Christian Music to keep me focused on Jesus Christ at all times.

Christian Rock is a TOOL that does help some people in their walk with Christ.

Show me a satanic note in the music notes?

There isn't!

Its whats in the HEART that will make the final outcome!

Would you listen to a Satanic Rock singer to a Christian Rock singer.

Would you listen to a Satanic Gospel singer to a Christian Gospel singer.

Its about who you are for......the devil or Jesus!

[ May 03, 2002, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The original subject of this thread started with this quote:
    "Janine S. Pouliot, in The Power of Music (Vol. 13, The World & I, 05-01-1998, pp 147) reveals that rock music is of no benefit even to our bodies."
    It has to do with how music affects our health. It is that question that I will first address. Please consider the following link: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1738.50348

"After years of loud rock music, many people in their mid-forties are noticing hearing loss, sometime severe enough to require a hearing aid. Protecting the ears can minimize further damage."
    "That was true for Kathy Peck. As guitarist for a punk band in the 1970s and 1980s, she regularly spent time on stage close to loudspeakers. By the mid-1980s, "I realized I couldn't hear clearly what people were saying," Peck says."

"Christian Rock is a TOOL that does help some people in their walk with Christ."
    "Show me a satanic note in the music notes?"

Music isn't neutral. As Kathy Peck found out it destroys the body (harming your ears is destructive to the body). David played before Saul. He was a skilled musician. He played the harp; he didn't play rock. Instead of harming the body Saul's mind was set at ease, and his soul delivered of a demon. When Israel waited for Moses to come down from Mount Sinai they demanded of Aaron to make a golden calf. They danced around that calf, naked, to music. Music is not neutral. The music had as much a part in their immorality and disobedience as did their other overt acts of rebellion. Christian rock is not a tool to help Christians in their walk with Christ. It can only pull them down.

Eph.5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
    ---Do the songs that you sing that help you in your spiritual walk fall into one of these three categories: psalms, hymns, or spiritual songs. I don't know of any CCM music that falls into one of those three categories.
    Much of the music styles copied from the world are of the world. The god of this world is Satan. And thus you may deduce you have a whole lot of music that contains "satanic notes" in it, "for whatsoever is not of the Father, is of the world. (1John 2:16).

1Cor.10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
    ---I do not believe that you can keep this command and listen to or play CCM at the same time.

1 Cor. 8:13 Wherefore, if meat (CCM) make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh (listen to no CCM) while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
    ---This is one of the more important verses you ought to consider. Rock music offends. CCM offends. It offends a lot of people. Aside for all of the other reasons posted--that it is unhealthy, worldly, etc.,--it offends. Paul said that if it offends I will not do it while the world stands lest I make my brother to offend. For the person who has just given up the rock culture completely, you offend by playing your music. For the person who has never been into that culture you offend by playing your music. A young person just this week, brought to me a stack of cd's which had worldly music that he wanted me to destroy for him. He wanted to start living for the Lord. Music is not neutral. That music was destroying his spiritual life. He got rid of it.

"Its about who you are for......the devil or Jesus!"
    ---You are right there. It is all about who you are for. And if you are for Jesus, and against the devil, you won't be listening to any rock.
    DHK

20. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

While what you say about "offense" may have some merit, what does this mean? (Where exactly do we draw the line?) We must separate music by the accent of the rhythm (and which Continent it comes from, and with ambiguous scientific studies to prove it) and everyone listen only to classical? Music is very diverse, and not even all classified as "rock" sounds the same.
    It offends me that many of the same people who push for classical music only have participated in negative racial stereotypes and attitudes and link the music to it. It offends me when Gordon Sears and many other writers speak of "jungle music/[sound]/[beat]", and much of the music sounds nothing like jungle, but because of where the beat came from, it's all the same. It's really offensive when brothermike.com says that "bad music from Ham" (coming from the "charismatics" and contemporary Church) is "corrupting our churches". And then there's the college that teaches this stuff about music, and was exposed for its segregation. Then, past culture is held up as being so model (even with all the hatred and abuse of people back then)but "corrupted" by these outside influences (when scripture concludes all under sin). But yet now I'm supposed to admit that all of these people are right, because they claim to be genuinely "offended". I'm supposed to listen now to only what they say is good, which is the classical style of their "good" culture; that is, if I really care about Christ and my brethren.
    My point is, while "offense" is a biblical concern, I am afraid that a lot of people are pushing "offense" to stamp out something they simply don't like, for a reason that is itself highly offensive (even if they are not aware of it). So I am offended by a "classical only" music philosophy that is pushed onto others in the namr of honoring Christ. Yet nobody will ask anyone to give up classical because of any negative connotations it carries about a dominating culture.
    In this music issue, along with some others, people have been so busy trying to change others' preferences, that they are not searching their own hearts to see if they need to change some of their ways too. That is the point of Paul's statements, and yes, the young CCM crowd may have neglected this, but then those criticizing them should set an example and not do the same thing!

[ May 04, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Eric B ]