1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Modern Israel at 70"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by church mouse guy, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On May 14, 1949, David Ben-Gurion led Israel to declare that it was an independent nation as the international mandate for the colonization of the Holy Land ended. Thus modern Israel came into being. US President Harry Truman defied his party and the State Department and extended diplomatic recognition to the new state.

Today after seventy years, Israel is a nation of nine million people, two million of whom are Arabs, with a land area roughly the size of New Jersey. Israel blooms with the return of the Jews: Isaiah 35:1 (KJV) The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

The rebirth of Israel was mentioned in Scripture. That Israel would become a nation in one day: Isaiah 66:8 (KJV) Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? [or] shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

It was foretold that Israel would be conquered and destroyed: Deuteronomy 28:47-48 (KJV) Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all [things]; Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all [things]: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

Ezekiel 36:18-19 (KJV) Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols [wherewith] they had polluted it: And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.

Israel was restored because God had promised the land to the seed of Abraham in an everlasting covenant. Ezekiel 36:22 (KJV) Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

Thus prophecy was fulfilled on May 14, 1948: Ezekiel 36:24 (KJV) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

And someday: Ezekiel 36:25-26 (KJV) Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Israel had become a byword among the nations, as God foretold: Deuteronomy 28:37 (KJV) And thou shalt become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword, among all nations whither the LORD shall lead thee.

Hal Lindsey in a progam linked at the end of this post, which quotes the Scripture listed by him in his broadcast, thinks that the reason for the hatred of the Jews worldwide is based upon rebellion against God.

But those who seek to invade Israel will be defeated, for Ezekiel 39:6 (KJV) And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles: and they shall know that I [am] the LORD.

Nevertheless, the time of the Gentiles is ending: Luke 21:24 (KJV) And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Jeremiah 31:6 (KJV) For there shall be a day, [that] the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.

"Modern Israel at 70": The Hal Lindsey Report | Hal Lindsey

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:Roflmao Hal Lindsey :Roflmao

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fulfilled at Pentecost!

Zechariah's prophecy is full of explicit references to Jesus' time on earth, & he also quotes what will happen in one day:
    3:8 ‘Hear, O Joshua, the high priest,
    You and your companions who sit before you,
    For they are a wondrous sign;
    For behold, I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH.
    9 For behold, the stone
    That I have laid before Joshua:
    Upon the stone are seven eyes.
    Behold, I will engrave its inscription,’
    Says the Lord of hosts,
    ‘And I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.
    10 In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts,
    ‘Everyone will invite his neighbor
    Under his vine and under his fig tree.’”

14:6 It shall come to pass in that day
    That there will be no light;
    The lights will diminish.
    7 It shall be one day
    Which is known to the Lord—
    Neither day nor night.
    But at evening time it shall happen
    That it will be light.
    8 And in that day it shall be
    That living waters shall flow from Jerusalem,

Half of them toward the eastern sea
    And half of them toward the western sea;
    In both summer and winter it shall occur.
    9 And the Lord shall be King over all the earth.
    In that day it shall be—
    “The Lord is one,”
    And His name one.
    As Peter proclaimed at Pentecost:
    Acts 2:19 I will show wonders in heaven above
    And signs in the earth beneath:
    Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
    20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
    And the moon into blood,
    Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
    21 And it shall come to pass
    That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
    Shall be saved.’

The nations united against the LORD Jesus Christ, the King of the Jews who had been welcomed by the believing people of God when he fulfilled Zec. 9. A few days later the enemies of God secretly arrested & tried him, handed him over to the Gentiles for his execution. Psalm 2 quote in Acts 4. The wrath of God against the sin of his people was poured out on the Son of God. The sun was turned to darkness at mid-day; light returned in the evening.

Full & free salvation was proclaimed to all the earth, beginning at Jerusalem, they saw their sins as in the Gospel they looked on him who they had pierced & turned to him in repentance.

The holy nation was indeed born that day, as Peter explains quoting Moses:
    Exo. 19:5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

The modern state of Israel has nothing to do with such prophecy. It exists in total rejection of Israel's Messiah, & in total defiance of the prophecies relating to Israel's restoration:
    Eze. 47:21 “Thus you shall divide this land among yourselves according to the tribes of Israel. 22 It shall be that you will divide it by lot as an inheritance for yourselves, and for the strangers who dwell among you and who bear children among you. They shall be to you as native-born among the children of Israel; they shall have an inheritance with you among the tribes of Israel. 23 And it shall be that in whatever tribe the stranger dwells, there you shall give him his inheritance,” says the Lord God.

• Like Like x 2
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, are you scoffing at Hal-- or the prophecies?
    If at Hal, just remember he was/is not a prophet. If at the biblical prophecies, well, you're treading on mighty dangerous ground!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Hal. Hence why I put his name up

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, Hal Lindsey was all of 20 years old in 1949.

8. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I was 10. It was a topic of conversation at school in the 50s, as there was a common understanding that prophecy was being fulfilled.

Now two generations have lived in the modern nation of Israel, & the hoped for salvation - Jews in Israel turning in repentance & faith to the LORD Jesus Christ hasn't happened. That is proof that the OT prophecies relating to Israel are not being fulfilled today in & by the nation calling itself "Israel."

What did Jesus say about OT prophecy in response to their complaint?
    Luke 24:19 And He said to them, “What things?”
    So they said to Him, “The things concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to be condemned to death, and crucified Him. 21 But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel.

25 Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of people don't believe in the perpetuity of spiritual gifts, but I don't know what is wrong with his logic on this issue, which has nothing to do with spiritual gifts. And so what if Hal Lindsey is ninety years old? For all of those who think that Israel doesn't matter, then how was it that the nation came back into existence in one day, May 14, 1948?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I don't have time for Lindsey; he's up there with LaHaye, Camping and assorted mixed nuts. I'm not sure what relevance his age has to it; as Covenanter has said, those who were getting all excited about the events of 1948 ain't been reading things right...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know anything about LaHaye, but Lindsey is a dispensationalist if that is what you are talking about. However, there is no dispensationalism evidenced in the Scripture listed above in this particular issue. There probably is some Fundamentalist statement somewhere on this issue but I just happened to stumble on this particular broadcast, which is available in transcript if you want to read it, although I have listed most of the Scripture quoted in the particular doctrine.

As a lawyer, you know that you need to attack the ideas and not the man in order to win the debate.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Okay I disagree with dispy Christian Zionism which Lindsey espouses. Better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, I fear your views of Hal Lindsey are not automatically shared. Mr. Lindsey is viewed by many to be speculative at best with his efforts to contemporize Revelation and alarmist at worst.

Leaving him aside for the moment, many Americans are like the founder and first president of my alma mater, B. Myron Cedarholm. They view(ed) establishment of the State of Israel as a work of Divine Providence. For the most part, they operated under the guidance of Genesis 12:3

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt someone has a link to a Fundamentalist statement that uses the same Scripture as Lindsey to establish the point and then the Pentecostal viewpoint can be set aside here.

16. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I do not believe the modern state of Israel is a fulfillment of prophecy, I do believe it is a force for good in the Middle East; keeping Iran, Syria, and Russian intervention in check.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming. But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. For this reason you be ready too; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Matthew 24:42–44

That's enough for me.

At the end, alll the end of times labels we apply to ourselves and others will mean nothing.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Richard Land of the SBC said in 2005 that Increase Mather and other Puritans in the 17th century predicted the restoration of Israel before the thousand year reign of Jesus on earth. Their belief was passed down to Evangelicals.

So that removes dispensationalism and Pentecostalism with the debate, huh? I think that there were others before the Puritans in church history who believed that Israel would be restored.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irenaeus commented on the return of the Jews by an implication. Gerald of Borgo San Donnino in 1255. The burned at the stake Rev. Francis Kett for suggesting that the Jews would return to their homeland in a book.

Others were Thomas Draxe 1608, Thomas Brightman 1609 and Joseph Mede 1627, Henry Finch 1621, who was persecuted by King James I.

Also, John Quincy Adam's. Lord Balfour, General Allenby, and William Blackstone.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL!!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.