1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Not open theism.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Sep 23, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The eternal Son of God has as the Creator deliberatly limited some of His omnisciece.

John 1:18, ". . . No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. . . ."

Genesis 22:12, ". . . for now I know that thou fearest God, . . ."

Acts of the Apostles 1:7, ". . . And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. . . ."

Mark 13:32, ". . . But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. . . ."

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The framework for the premise, God the Son limited, while incarnate, some of His omniscience, assumes this definition of Omniscience, "God knows everything imaginable." No other view is allowed to be presented.

3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think open theism is the idea that if someone has a true autonomous free will then not even God can truly know what they might do because their decision truly does not yet exist so it can't be known. God is very wise, and powerful, and his overall plans will always come about, but even God can't know a future decision of an individual because the decision simply does not yet exist. In other words, God is the ultimate master chess player and will always win, but if your next move is really up to you and you alone, no one can know ahead of time what that move will be. Not even God.

It sounds silly, but it is the logical conclusion if you believe in a true, autonomous free will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if you've ever played chess you know that if you could know all possible moves and all possible moves that result from those moves then you would be unbeatable and it would be about as effective as knowing the future move, just not quite the same thing. And it preserves the idea of true autonomy and human free will.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really do not understand the argument. Genesis 22:12, ". . . now I know . . . ." God the Father always knew.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your comments of Open Theism. People often rightly dismiss it but for the wrong reasons. They don't deny divine omniscience but change what it is that can actually be known.

I disagree with your last statement. Another view was expressed by Jonathan Edwards. Also some hold that human autonomous free will exists within God's will (that the mind of God is eternally greater than the mind of men, so that human free will has no bearing on the mind of God).

I was a Christian philosophy guy before seminary. :Biggrin

7. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I've listened to some of James White debating the Open Theists and frankly, without some level of Calvinistic determinism, their position is formidable. I don't personally know of a free willer who takes them on but that would be interesting to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really do not understand scripture.

Anyone can make "against the person arguments" but they demonstrate ignorance, not intelligence.

Now I know indicates a lack of knowledge beforehand. It does not say "now your behavior confirmed My prior knowledge."

And here is a question you will not answer, when Yahweh's words are presented in the Old Testament, are they the words of God the Father, God the Son, or the words of both?

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does John 1:18 explain to you?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non-responsive, I asked a question. Why not answer it, or say you have no idea?

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the words of God the Father are His words spoken by means of tbe Son. John 1:3. ". . . All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. . . ." Meaning the Son, aka the Word.

John 5:19, ". . . Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. . . ."

Luke 3:21-22, ". . . it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. . . ."

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on this non-stated position post, I must infer God the Father "Learned" rather than confirmed the faithfulness of Abraham. Thus Omniscience, as defined by scripture is not knowing everything imaginable, but rather knowing everything God has chosen to know.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO. God the Father is fully omniscient. The Son as God's temporal agent is who learned. Or why have the Son of God? John 1:2. John 1:3, John 1:18. Genesis 22:12, ". . . now I know . . . ."

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you state your actual view, as errant as it may be, in post # 11?

Which Omniscient are you claiming? Did you say? Nope. Why not address the issue? Why all these nonsense posts deflecting. I grow tired.

1) God is fully Omniscient Yahweh knows what He has chosen to know.

2) Your view denies "now I know!" (Genesis 22:12)

3) God the Son is a person of the Trinity. Full Stop

4) John 1:2 says God the Son was with our Triune God Yahweh. Non-germane to Omniscience

5) Ditto for John 1:3.

6) Ditto for John 1:18

7) Genesis 22:12 say God learned that Abraham's faith was total, thus teaching Omniscience means God knows whatever He has chosen to know.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not agree. There is no explaining to you anything. Fine. It seems to me you cannot understand my view either.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda hard to understand positions unstated as in post #11. :)

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Actually, Jesus remained fully God, just chose to not know while on earth, but now fully knows all things period!

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 22:12, per John 1:18. Was before His incarnation.

19. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Yahweh, Father Jesus and the Holy Spirit were and are all knowing period

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throws out Mark 13:32 with Acts of the Apostles 1:7 explanation.

Then why did Yahweh in Genesis 22:12, say ". . . now I know . . . , " having always known? Where is any reason here?

Do you even know the difference between being finite and temporal or infinite and eternal? It seems you do not.

The explanation has to do with the One Yahweh actually being a Trinity of distinct Persons.

#20 37818, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023