1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People struggling with weight spiritual and physical

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Cathode, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If people are otherwise healthy but are struggling with weight. The best way for me was to only eat once a day for many years now, or if you put on a few pounds or are not doing much, cut back to one meal every two days.

After a while you get used to it, and it has very great spiritual benefits as well. If you can eat plain food ie bread and water, something very ordinary and not great tasting, it adds very much to prayer.

In these times the veil is lifting on the spiritual, it’s happening more and more as time goes on. Fasting helps in deliverance and street ministry, fasting has very powerful effects. It adds hydraulic power to prayer, and grace takes you easily.

This is not a time for people to be wallowing in vices, but to attack them hard. The world is wallowing in vices, and it makes people blind and stupid and oppressed and possessed by evil.

A believing man is the truest and total enemy of the dark, when he hands over to Jesus, prays, fasts, and does Almsgiving/ sacrificial giving.
    Jesus understands Hot and Cold, He can’t recognise tepid or lukewarm, it doesn’t compute with Him.

Denying self is the first step into the spiritual life, it puts you into the Hot zone, and you are making progress, because if you aren’t making progress, you are going backwards.
    The inner life begins with self denial.

Fasting gives you spiritual eyes and many signal graces to help you on the narrow path, fasting makes more space for Jesus in you. When we deny self we welcome Jesus.

Without Jesus we can do nothing.

Say ‘ Lord Jesus, you said that if anyone was to come after you, that first he must deny himself, take up his cross and then follow you. Lord Jesus, I desire this with all my heart, and ask you to help me every step of the way. Lord Jesus I love my comforts and sins, please help me to hate them as they get between you and me, that I may be Hot fire and never be lukewarm or indifferent. Lord Jesus, you must increase and I must decrease, Lord Jesus I love you, Lord Jesus I trust you. ‘

Then having prayed from the heart to Jesus go forward and act.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, fasting can be very cleansing, physically as well as spiritually. And, if you need to lose weight, I've never seen anybody fail with OMAD, and very few with "intermittent" fasting, like 18:6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both have been very effective for me, and, once you're 'fat adapted' not difficult at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well physically I need take the load off... Spiritually I need to put more of the LORD on... Brother Glen:)

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As we make sacrifice with the Lord on the way, we see more and more what He wants us to see. We learn more about Him and we learn more about ourselves.
    Graces are being showered on us all the time, but I think we don’t have the full disposition to receive them if we are indulging ourselves in some way.

Fasting catches the graces and directs them to your prayer intentions. Self denial is like trimming our sails properly, it sets our disposition correctly to receive graces.

God sends this rain on the just and unjust alike, the only difference is the disposition to receive it.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People whose blood sugar control is lacking cannot fast as that results in hypoglycemia. Fasting teaches self control, as does controlling the type and amount of food eaten. Also exercise, like a walk and contemplation of spiritual things also demonstrates self control. Some people have success reducing the times they eat. My dad tended to run to fat, but he found by eating only two times a day, he could keep his weight at a healthy level. I found walking about 2 miles, several times a week helps me, but with my weight and my spiritual mind-set.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first, and most important rule for losing weight is…….

…… never take weight loss advice from someone fatter than you are…..

Peace to you

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One time I signed up to become fit using a personal trainer and him and I got talking one day and he said so you signed to be healthier?... I said well that is the goal, so I said just off the cuff, what is your goal?... You probably want to be Mr. America or something, as he was really buff... No he said with a gleam in his eyes, My long time goal is being a professional bartender... I was in shock but I didn't let him know it... I dropped any professional trainer and trained myself... I used to be a lean, mean, Marine... Not as lean, not as mean and a former Marine... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found folks have no problem offering unsolicited advice on weight loss. I usually tell them my weight is not a problem. My problem is my height.

peace to you

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it the tall of it or the short of it?... Brother Glen:)

11. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you chop off your head you can lose height and 20lbs of ugly fat as well. ;)

#11 Cathode, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW!!! That’s a little dark, don’t you think?

peace to you

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah let me lighten it up a bit... I heard this one... If the scale on my gym is accurate, this month I already lost forty dollars... Brother Glen:Biggrin

#13 tyndale1946, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry mate, It’s from the old joke “ How to lose 20lbs of ugly fat. Chop off your head “, I shouldn’t assume everyone knows it.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology accepted.

I guess the version around here is “I lost 240 lbs of ugly fat. I divorced my spouse”

peace to you

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were a fit Marine in your youth…. Not so much in your 70’s I’m thinking. How’s about a 12 hour fast every day for starters like eat a meal every day at 6 pm and then just don’t eat until 630am every day… that’s 12 hrs. If that’s a breeze change it up an hour or two. Give that a month. Try to walk more each day… nothing nuts and go up stairs once in a while if you can. By then, your almost ready for spring training.

17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just reading this I'm already exhausted... Boot Camp?... Already been there... Done that!... I work out at Costco, and if you've ever been there... Its a work out!:eek:... I try to work out with the LORD everyday, trying to keep myself spiritually fit, then there is that devil fellow :Devilish trying to interrupt my training... Him and I are well acquainted... Brother Glen:)

Proverbs 22: 6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you go to Costco for? I had a car accident recently so we order food now mostly thru something called Instacart… they pick up the order, bag it and then deliver to door :Biggrin what a time & energy saver…. No shopping in crowded stores, no lugging home groceries, and you can spend time doing something else. Think about it!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you live Canadyjd… we just shoot them and through them in the chipper or drop them in the Pocono’s… bear food! :Cool

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't jinx me... I've been a safe driver for over 50 years, in California... You know you don't argue with a woman, Pam says we go to Costco... So guess what?... See wants to see and handle what she buys and try on what she wears... I know they have no changing rooms at Costco but you get the picture... This year with our Health plan we have free gym privileges, now we just have to get there:rolleyes:... You and Pam take care... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1