1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preferred Pronouns

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had someone attending your church and asked you to use their preferred pronouns,
    how would you respond.

If a person was a member of your church and insisted you use their preferred pronouns; what would be your response and action?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say, "No."

I would say, "No."

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (bold my emphasis)

Should the pastor talk to him - would church discipline be in order?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he wants to talk with the pastor, then the pastor should talk with him.

No.

6. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not use a different pronoun than he or she was born with. No discipline, but maybe discipleship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether it be the church, the job, family reunion, or wherever.......I, of course, would not comply. But a simple, curt, and non-discussion "no" would not be enough for me.

If this person was willing, I would have to have a conversation basically like this:
    • I would explain that I understood his feelings and mindset were real to him.
    • I would explain that MY beliefs and feelings are real to ME.
    • And if I had to forsake my mindset, convictions, beliefs, and feelings to cater to him - then that's not fair.
    • Our belief systems are too far apart for that.
    • I would assure him that I would still be his friend and would encourage him to stay in church and Sunday School. Although I believe that he would not stay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question for us here. What, if any, passage of Scripture or Scriptures were in mind for your answer?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 10:6 From the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 10:32-33, comes to mind, ". . .
    Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. . . ."

11. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I address people according as to what naturally comes out of my mouth. Most of the time brother or sister. Anyone touchy enough to be offended by how they're addressed I will not be addressing often and they can start deducting from 70 times 7. Scripturally, we should be dead enough to not be touchy.

12. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What comes to mind is something my dad used to say; "If you do not stand for something you will fall for anything."
    I will take my stand for Christ not the world. From the beginning of creation, God MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE. If a person has a problem understanding that than they need someone to explain reality to them and I agree with @Scarlett O. in her approach. We can disagree with out being disagreeable.

The church is most effective when we are different from the world not a part of it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling someone by the wrong pronoun is bearing false witness. It is lying.

I am not perfect and I still catch myself telling a lie occasionally, but I make an effort to always tell the truth. The lying I do is telling my mom who has moderate Alzheimer's the wrong name for a food. I will call something like a cherry tomato a strawberry just to see if she will correct me. I do it for a purpose, but it is still lying. . .

Why I say that is, I try to be truthful even when it cost me to be truthful. Why would I tell a lie for someone else when there is no advantage to me to do so. What they are asking you to do is to lie to them and to tell them that God is wrong in their case. To do so, that person would be asking me to abandon my strongest and most deeply held beliefs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting thinking
    But I dont really think it is lying.

But first - do you mean if "Tom" want to be called "Alice" -- would that make "Tom" a liar?

or if "Bill" know that "Alice" is actually a male and refers him to as "Alice" - does that make "Bill" a liar?

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would tell them I believe they are mentally ill and should seek counseling. Further, I would advise him/her I see no usefulness in ignoring 60 years of understanding the English language to accommodate their mental illness. It doesn’t help him/her in any way to pretend he/her is something they are not.

Further, I would advise him/her to stay away from my children/grandchildren.

I would then advise the pastor the person seems to be mentally ill and shouldn’t be left alone with children.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pronoun "He" has an established meaning. The same with "She." Calling a male a "she" is a deception. There are reasons when deceiving someone may not be a sin, but it is still a lie. When Rahab hid the spies she lied when the city came looking for them. But, in that case the lie was not a sin.

Using the wrong pronoun in these type of cases is a deception and a deception for no good reason. But having said that, your example of Tom wanting to be called Alice is not a lie. A person had the right to use whatever name they wish. For example, the English rule for how to spell a name recognizes that the correct spelling of a name is the way the individual spells their name. I am a "Philip." I spell my name with one "L." Many other's with my name spell it with 2 "L"s. Who is right? The correct way to spell my name is Philip, the correct way to spell their names is Phillip. If I wanted to change my name to "Donald Trump," I can go down, fill out the paperwork and become a person named "Donald Trump." Or I could do the same thing and choose the name Melania Trump, the same is true. If I legally change my name to her name, I would be "a" Melania Trump. So a person calling me Melania Trump would not be lying, they would surely be laughing, or shacking their head, but they would not be lying.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call them by their preferred proper name instead of a gendered pronoun.

I would call them by their preferred proper name instead of a gendered pronoun. Christian love and courtesy is more important than culture wars.

#16 Baptist Believer, Sep 3, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it Christian love/courtesy to feed someone’s mental illness?

If a 40 year old man came to your home for dinner and told you he identified as a 10 year old girl, would you let him sleep over with your daughter/granddaughter?

I suspect not.

Christian love does not mean we throw common sense out the window.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is feeding feeding another's mental illness by referring to someone by their preferred proper name.

The real need is for all of us to engage in Christian discipleship. The greatest need of the person who experiences gender dysphoria is to connect with Jesus and be transformed in grace and faithful obedience.

The culture war "gospel" is a distraction from our primary Christian calling.

I'll let you know when that happens. I think it is more likely that a purple giraffe will come by my home and attempt to sell me automotive insurance.

Of course not.

But we definitely shouldn't throw the gospel priorities out the window just because "culture wars" are fashionable in so-called Christian circles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pronouns that concern a gender-confused person are only used when you are talking about them, (third person pronouns) and are not used when talking directly to them.

Pronouns used when talking to a person are not a problem, “you” is generic.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless the person prefers “yi/yim” instead of “you”.

peace to you

• Funny Funny x 1