1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Return to Peru

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by asterisktom, Jun 23, 2024.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our last visit to Peru, 2018, was certainly memorable. For good reasons and for bad. We took the time to slowly travel through this difficult country, first making a southern loop starting from Lima and then, once again starting from Lima, we did the northern circuit. More on this earlier trip is in this entry:
    FIVE MONTHS IN PERU

We met a number of friendly Peruvians, especially in those distant towns that were far off the tourist trail. On one of the buses heading coastward from Chincha a very helpful bus attendant (I assumed he was, since he was dressed like one) helped me put my heavy bag in the overhead rack. The next hour or so I just took photos of the remarkably barren scenery. There were probably just one or two stops.

When we came to our destination I noticed that my backpack was much lighter than it was before. The “attendant”, apparently sitting right behind me, had quietly relieved me of my laptop as well as my two back-up drives! I never noticed when he had left. I complained angrily to the bus driver but he said they were not responsible. It occurred to me that passengers in the back must have noticed his theft, but said nothing to me. Hundreds of photos of the Amazon area of Peru as well as notes for me commentary on Hebrews and much more were lost. I determined never ever to return to this country.

Yet here we are again. I guess we don’t want that lowlife to be our final impression of this country. And, hopefully, we plan to return to the Amazon region – maybe even all the way into Brazil.

Photos and the rest of the article are at the link below

Peru 2024: The First in a Planned Series

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd love to sample some authentic Peruvian ceviche. I grow Peruvian chiles that go very well in the ceviche I make.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you're a little wiser now also. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes. We take more precautions. Even in our hotels. When we go for a walk I leave the laptop under the covers of the bed and put a shirt over the backpack. That way I know if the backpack has been touched and they don't think to look under the covers. Or I put the laptop out of sight on top of the closet (if there is one) where they, Peruvians usually being short.

But so far we have been enjoying the trip. Taking it slow.