1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sanctification

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jun 13, 2024.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "It is not a progressive work in the sense at all of making human nature better, of eradicating that vile principle of sin. It is not that. It is a conflict with that, it is a real conflict with that. And let me try to trace this out, as in the first place I judge that faith has a large part in this great matter. Now when you really have faith in exercise toward God, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, what does that do for you? "Purifying their hearts by faith," is the Scriptural answer to it. Real faith exercised toward God always produces that godly feeling in your soul, and where Peter says that the Lord purified the heart of the Gentiles by faith, even as He did of the Jews, what does he mean but that He "cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalted itself against the knowledge of God, and brought into captivity every thought unto the obedience of Christ?" (2 Corinthians 10:5) Can you run after an idol when faith is looking toward God? Can you carry a burden when faith is casting everything on Him? Can you worship free-will when you are worshipping the Almighty? Can you run after some vanity when that blessed One who says He has substance to give to His people is before the eye of your faith? No, faith is that wonderful principle created by the Holy Ghost; not the fruit of anything in nature you can exercise toward God.
    A sanctified person in the gospel sense is a separated person, in whose heart dwells the life of God, that is to say, in whom is a holy principle, for divine life is a holy principle; and that holy principle can never contentedly live away from its source and its end. Brethren, has this blessed sanctification been wrought in you, is it being carried on? Not as I said before, in a way of progressiveness, taking some bit out of nature today and a bit more tomorrow; but subduing the whole of nature, "bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ". Do not expect to be better in yourself, but as God is with you, you will find He will be your King: "I will be your King." And that being the truth will bring to pass this: "O Lord, other lords have had dominion over us." (Isaiah 26:13) And many a time you will say to yourself, "I wish that I could feel that sacred freedom: "They are dead, they shall not rise." How often I have wished I could say that quite freely: "They are dead, they shall not rise; they are extinct, they are quenched as tow!"

Bless God for a given sanctification."

- excerpt from a sermon on sanctification, preached by J.K. Popham in 1922.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sanctification begins with God's truth, John 17:17, Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.