1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 3 Temptations & What’s it teach us?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what do the children of God learn from Jesus answering the Devil as he did?

The Temptation of Jesus

1Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness 2for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He became hungry. 3And the devil said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” 4And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE.’”

5And he led Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6And the devil said to Him, “I will give You all this domain and its glory; for it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish.7“Therefore if You worship before me, it shall all be Yours.” 8Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.’”

9And he led Him to Jerusalem and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down from here;

10for it is written,
    ‘HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU TO GUARD YOU,’

11and,
    ‘ON their HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP,
    SO THAT YOU WILL NOT STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE.’”

12And Jesus answered and said to him, “It is said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOURGOD TO THE TEST.’”

13When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew and Luke both record three temptations.
    Both give those three temptaions in order.
    But Luke and Matthew do not seem to report the same order.
    The second temptation Luke reports, is the same type as Matthew reports as the third, with the word "again."