1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Good Work

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Oct 30, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By Kenny Dyess

THE GOOD WORK

Isaiah 45:24
    Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength.

The ground of man's acceptance before God never involves the "good" things done by that man. The only goodness that God will accept is a righteousness that fully satisfies his eternal, unchangeable and inflexible law and justice. No man can produce a righteousness that meets this standard in any measure, though many beat the wind, believing their "good" works increase their standing before God. (Matthew 7:21-23)

Morality and fair dealing are admirable and necessary to a civil society, but they are traits that are largely common among men. Moral discipline and even abstinence are found among cults, false religions and even athiests. An inconvenient truth among religious folk who place much emphasis on law obedience is that their "named" sins show up in their own ranks in equal measure to the population in general.

The thing a man must possess to be accepted by God, is a righteousness that meets every demand of God's strict law and justice, eternally. This righteousness is only found in a suitable substitute that accomplished said righteousness in the stead of those he represented. Upon his death on the cross, Christ satisfied every demand that God could lay to the charge of his elect, so there remains no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus. This was and is an eternal righteousness established on behalf of a specific people for whom he stands as their advocate and Surety. The child of God places no confidence in the flesh, but rests in the established righteousness of Christ alone.

There is a vast difference between resting in the finished work of Christ, and seeking to establish a righteous standing before God by obedience to his law. The one knows peace, while the other can never have true peace, as they live under a constant threat of not having done enough. This "law terror" is ever present and hangs over the religious zealot like the sword of Damocles. This threat is often reinforced from the pulpit, or by fellow parishioners when calamity befalls one of their own and they are told their situation is a result of some sin, known or unknown.

The gospel alone is good news, in that it is wholly based on what Christ accomplished in my place and not what I can do for God to commend myself above my fellow man.

Nothing is more amazing than the grace of God through Jesus Christ, that fully and eternally saved sinners.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing can for sin atone
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus
    Naught of good that I have done
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

This is all my hope and peace
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus
    This is all my righteousness
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

• Like Like x 1