1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holy Spirit Glorifies Christ

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Sep 2, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He shall glorify me" - John 16:14

The gospel of Jesus is suited to our indigent state and distressed circumstances; but we are averse to receive the truth in the love of it, because of our loftiness of spirit and pride of heart. A system that tends to exalt and glorify us in our own eyes and in the sight of others, we are naturally very fond of. This notion sticks close to us, we do not easily part with it. To imagine ourselves possessed of some inherent good dispositions and amiable tempers, which put us upon more respectable terms in the sight of God, and gain his favor, this we are apt to mistake for the work of the Spirit upon the heart. But as this notion leads from the faith and hope of the gospel, opposeth the glory of Jesus, lays another foundation than that which God hath laid, and tends to plume the creature with pride and vanity, we are taught to reject it as a spirit of Antichrist and delusion. This God severely reproves his church of old for: "Thou didst trust in thine own beauty and playedst the harlot, because of thy renown."— Ezekiel 16:15. ...

He shall bear witness to my person and offices of the relation I stand in to you; that justification is solely by my righteousness, atonement for your sins by my own sacrifice, and pardon of them by my blood: that I am your priest, ever before the throne, representing your persons, and pleading your cause. So shall you find peace in me, live daily upon me, and rejoice only in me. Thus by this work of the Spirit, Christ alone is exalted and glorified; our hearts comforted in truth, and sanctified in love, to the honor and service of our heavenly King.

- from William Mason's A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 1, September 2

#1 KenH, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022