1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Social Gospel?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Van, Sep 21, 2024 at 10:47 AM.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like many buss word phrase, people use the same phrase, but understand its meaning very differently. When I hear the phrase, I see it as an attempt by the godless life to infiltrate the body of Christ with destructive heresies.

In my youth, the concept was explained to me this way, the true gospel says God changes people from the inside out, giving them a new heart. The social gospel says humans can change people from the outside in, using persuasion and compulsion to achieve utopia on earth. Probably does not give the concept a fair shake.

Rather than rehashing to various historical beliefs, as discussed here:
    my focus is on the obligation, if any, for Christians to act in unity to vote against the godless left, and its puppet, the Democrat Party.

What does the bible say about supporting leaders who reflect biblical principles?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is a confusion with the term as well.

The gospel is focused on God's kingdom, men entering and participating in this kingdom. This has a social impact. Roman pagans lamented that Christians were helping Roman citizens who lived in poverty more than their own cults cared for people.

But the term "social gospel" is taken to be something other than the gospel itself. It is a "gospel" focused on societal issues rather than society benefitting from Christians doing kingdom work as a testimony of Christ.

MLK Jr. Is an excellent example here. His focus was not on the gospel or on God but on injustices in society. These needed to be addressed both within and outside of Christianity. And MLK Jr. aptly identified a failure and hypocrisy within the church. But his was distinctly a "social gospel".

The test is simple. The gospel is centered on Christ. A social gospel is centered on society, looks to Christian values as a theme but is not dependent on Christ Himself.