1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Timing of Prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was recently given a memento to remind me to pray for a particular person at a particular time, every day. The pray would concern the person’s being receptive to the Spirit of God.
    I’m rarely able to meet the deadline.

upload_2023-8-30_13-39-15.jpeg

It got me thinking (a dangerous proposition).

(1) Is pray like an instant messaging to God and does such a prayer generate an instant response?

(2) Are there any such prayers in the Scriptures?

(3) Does the timing of such a prayer matter?
    Would it matter if I prayed early or late?
    Would it change things at all?

(4) Does it matter if more people pray a prayer?
    Is God more likely to answer a prayer if more people pray it?

Rob

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily.

A few:

2 Kings 20:1-7

Acts of the Apostles 4:24-31

Pray at all times whenever the Lord leads His people to do so.

1 Thessalonians 5:17

No. God is the sovereign Creator of everything. He is not making His actions up as He goes.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have any agenda for this thread; this opened ended request for a specific time for prayer has me wondering.

I perceive God as being out of time (time being an aspect of his creation) but he specifically inserts himself into time.
    How does this effect how we pray?

Thank you, Ken.
    2 Kings 20 - the specific answered prayer of an affected individual. An answered prayer of the leader of Israel effected the course of Israel's history, not necessarily to their liking (be careful what you pray for - you may get more than you bargained for).

Acts 4:24 - corporate praying for God's will to manifest itself among them. It's never wrong to pray that God would work his will among his faithful people

As I was meditating on this, a couple of verses came to my mind.

Daniel 10:12–13 (ESV)
    Then he said to me, “Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia,

A delayed response to prayer. Here it appears that an antagonistic power thwarted God's messenger from delivering a timely message.​

2 Chronicles 7:14 (ESV)
    if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

The power of group prayer and group action.
    I'm still mulling things over.

Rob

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen. 24 (v15 in particular) is another instant response, perhaps more than instant as God answered Abraham's servant before his prayer was finished.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have pondered much about this

so far, I have come to understand that God is eternal and not bound by time as man therefore, God hears and answers unbound by time if that makes sense