1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts on Preaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BroOldTimer, Feb 18, 2023.

1. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am really curious to hear what other pastors and church members believe is to be correct and Biblical preaching. The terms "expository preaching", "Christ-Centered preaching", and "Gospel preaching" are all thrown out quite a bit. How would you define "Christ-Centered preaching? What is the pattern for faithful preaching? What is the difference between teaching and preaching? How much of the sermon should explanatory and exhortative? Just curious on what others think. This has been on my mind lately.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, my opinion, right or wrong…

So at church, I consider myself a teacher, not a preacher.
    I like organization, outlines, notes, diagrams etc.
    I focus on the text I teach and generally stay close to the context of the original author. My focus is on information and original purpose of the passage.
    My goal is to encourage my students to meditate upon the Word through the week and allow the Holy Spirit to work a change in them.

A preacher exhorts people, they relate closely with their audience and give them what they need. They too, can be organized but their focus is upon motivating their congregation toward change, towards godliness.

This can be performed in a number of different ways, through a variety of preaching methods, I.e. expository preaching passage by passage or topical.

Any church that doesn’t teach in a Christ-center way isn’t really a church, it’s simply a community meeting place.

I personally don’t think a gospel presentation needs to be given every Sunday (some do and I’ve no problem with that).

Rob

#2 Deacon, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This passage informs my understanding of preaching and teaching as it all points us toward Christ. If we neglect Christ in our message, we fail to inform our flock.

*Luke 24:25-27*
    And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting distinctions. In your view, does a pastor teach or preach? Both?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally pastors are proficient in both.
    There are times when one approach works better than another.

I once served under a fill-in pastor during a season of church trouble at a church. He was a college professor and very able, a great communicator.
    He was my favorite teacher and fulfilled my desire to delve deeper into the Scriptures.
    …but long term he would not have met the pastoral needs of our congregation.

A good preaching pastor is more than a teacher however, they explore the Scriptures deeply but also put an emphasis on application.

Rob

6. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thread.

I like some expository and some verse by verse.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist