1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why persons perish in Hell.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Jun 20, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 20:15, ". . . And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. . . ."

I am of the persuasion everone's name starts out in that book because Christ paid for all human souls. And names are removed for not receiving God's forgiveness as needed because of one's sins. I am also persuaded God who saves keeps whom He saves.

2. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unscriptural comment !

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to say something was unscriptural you should give your reasons and back it up with scripture.

1] I am of the persuasion everyone's name starts out in that book because Christ paid for all human souls.

2] And names are removed for not receiving God's forgiveness as needed because of one's sins.

3] I am also persuaded God who saves keeps whom He saves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reason: sounds like salvation by works to me.
    Certainly needs more clarification!

Rob

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  5. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    The comment wasnt backed up with scripture

6. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then backup your disagreement with scripture other than that it is just your opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the comment one makes is backed up with scripture, then I will do likewise.

8. Jesus Saves!

Jesus Saves! Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s some scripture to think about.
    Romans 7:9 KJV
    For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Psalm 139:16 KJV
    Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

9. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't C.S. Lewis write a book about how if you find yourself in hell, they have busses you can take and go up to Heaven any time you want? And everyone tended to go back, voluntarily, on the same bus at the end of the day. I don't remember it being much for theology but it really made you think.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are thinking of Lewis' book, "The Great Divorce," an allegorical novel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am unsure how Revelation 20:15 persuades you of your assertion.
    Nowhere, in the verse you quote, does it say that names were removed from the book of life. Instead, it says that people whose names were not found in the book of life are cast into the Lake of Fire. How are you persuaded that "everone's name starts out in that book because Christ paid for all human souls. And names are removed for not receiving God's forgiveness as needed because of one's sins" by reading Revelation 20:15? It is incumbent upon you to exegete this verse and show us how it persuades you to your present opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The OP does sound like salvation by works. The OP will need to clarify.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was being taught that is salvation by one's works according to what Scripture? Quote it and cite the Scripture.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 10:14, ". . . Allow the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. . . ."

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one of Christ own ends up in Hell, then Christ failed... Christ saves to the uttermost... But men are saying that he failed!... Blasphemy!... Read scripture!... Then open your eyes and look!... Brother Glen:)

Matthew 19: 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Now look!

Revelation 7: 9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

If it wasn't for God's mercy, grace and love in his Son Jesus Christ, we would ALL be doing the fire dance!:eek:

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is never saving by the person's works.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A person's name is not in the book of life because of works.

Revelation 20:12, ". . . And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. . . ."

Revelation 20:15, ". . . And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. . . ."

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "To enter heaven is to become more human than you ever succeeded in being on earth; to enter hell is to be banished from humanity. What is cast (or casts itself) into hell is not a man: it is “remains.” To be a complete man means to have the passions obedient to the will and the will offered to God: to have been a man – to be an ex-man or “damned ghost” – would presumably mean to consist of a will utterly centered in its self and passions utterly uncontrolled by the will.". C.S. Lewis

Nothing to say....just like the quote. :)

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing that separates men from Hell... THE LORD IS OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS!, we go to Hell on our own... Brother Glen:)

2 Corinthians 5: 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. That was Lewis' point.

We miss the mark of truly being human (of being what it is to be what God created man to be). But where the First Adam failed the Last Adam succeeded.

You could (forgive the illustration if you think it too far) think of it as seeds falling to the ground. First comes the flesh and then the spirit. But some will remain flesh and be destroyed as weeds are destroyed in a field.

• Like Like x 1