1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 2 Corinthians 5:21 doesn't support penal substitution (reposted)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Arthur King, Aug 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason there is not enough there for Penal Substitution is that the theory makes too many assumptions that are not in the Bible.

First, the wages of sin. Penal Substitution Theory assumed that this is God's wrath inflicted as punishment for sins and that this wrath was inflicted on Christ instead of us as a means to keep from punishing us (it is not true forgiveness, but a transference of punishment).

The wages of sin are the wages of sin (not of God). Sin produces death, plain and simple. The Judgment is a Christ-centered event (all judgment has been given to Him) when God's wrath is poured out on the wicked.

In the Bible these are two distinct things - the wages of sin (not of God) and the judgment of God.

The word "propitiation" means a sacrifice or offering by which one avoids wrath or some undesirable event.

2. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I forget who posted what.
    I'm just trying to figure out who is where.

Are you saying that the work of Christ on our behalf was an outworking, demonstration and manifestation of our sin and that is the extent of what His death accomplishes at the atonement?
    My question regarding the above is how do you think we contributed to the death of God's Son? I agree we did, but I understand it as a penal substitution that satisfied God's justice and propitiated the wrath I had built up, not just as a member of the human race but as an individual sinner. But what do you say? You use a double standard here. You correctly say that Jesus didn't literally become sinful ( which I agree with), and refuse to accept "imputation" of sin, yet have no trouble making us all guilty of Christ's death - but how? We weren't there, so it must be by imputation. Peter preached that message to the people who were there but not to everyone, everywhere.

Then you say "On the cross, Jesus was made my sin". What gives? You deny imputation of sin, which would allow Jesus to suffer the guilt and penalty without actually being made sinful yet you turn around and say "Jesus was made my sin".

So what I was asking is what, in your own words does "Jesus was made my sin" mean. Was it any more than a demonstration?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.