1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth......starting Thursday night

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Apr 8, 2020.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think it was the 14th but I do not think they were eating the lamb that night especially when compared to John 18:28. I think this was 13/14 and preparatory toward the lambs being slaughtered the next afternoon.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture doesn't tell us any of these details. We just have scripture suggesting he proclaimed victory to spirits sometime during his death. Could have been the whole time from Friday afternoon to the twilight of the morning first day when he rose. Or it just could have been a couple hours. We aren't told.

Again, heart of the earth is not a reference to the grave, nor to hades, anymore than belly of the whale is a reference to hades.

I don't understand what you're asking here, you'll have to restate.

If you believe heart of the earth is a reference to Jesus time in hades, then I can see why you believe he was there for 3 days and 3 nights. But I disagree with the premise that heart of the earth is a reference to hades.

Also, Jesus was in the actual grave (dead) for 3 days and 2 nights. So three days is an accurate description for his time in the grave. Three days and three nights, however, is not possible. Jesus must have been referring to something broader.

#22 Calminian, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Calminian

Site Supporter

No idea, just something I came across. I don't have firm backup for it.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on what? Blblically it was the 14th.

Jesus body was placed in that tomb after sun down, Geneva Bible, "And nowe when the night was come (because it was the day of the preparation that is before the Sabbath) . . . ." Mark 15:42. The Jewish days begin with the evening, night fall.

BTW, the Passover, Luke 22:1 then referred to the week, Numbers 28:24, ". . . this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt. . . ."

Deuteronomy 18:1, ". . . The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance. . . ."

John 18:22 ". . . Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. . . ."

#24 37818, Apr 12, 2020
  5. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right. Thank you.

The phrase under the earth you say refers to death and burial. Could you point to some specific instances in the Scriptures where the phrase (i.e. under the earth) unquestionably refers to burial?

#25 Origen, Apr 12, 2020
  6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And he said:

“I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction,
    And He answered me.

“Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
    And You heard my voice.

To Jonah being in the belly of the fish was the same as being in the belly of Sheol, Greek Hades.

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

Most literally, it's a term for burial, especially when you understand what the word "earth" means in the Bible. It means land, therefore the phrase should be understood as under the land. Underground or buried would be the most literal and logical understanding. If someone says it doesn't mean this, I would say the onus is on them to provide an argument.

Phil. 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,

Rev. 5:3 And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it.

Rev. 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

“Blessing and honor and glory and power

Be to Him who sits on the throne,

And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”​

This term was definitely out there for Jesus to use, but he didn't. He use

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, just as we often say we're in hell when in a dire situation. But there's nothing in the text to suggest that Jonah was literally in sheol, and not literally in the whale. There's nothing to suggest he left the whale and went to Sheol, and then came back.

But this is also irrelevant. Regardless of how I think of this, it doesn't have any bearing on the meaning of the term, "heart of the earth." One can agree with you that Jonah died at one point, and then was revived by God. Interesting, but irrelevant.

#28 Calminian, Apr 12, 2020
  9. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any reason why those passages could not be understood as references to those in the netherworld rather than the grave?

#29 Origen, Apr 12, 2020
  10. Calminian

Site Supporter

I think so yes, for the reasons I've mentioned. When you have a phrase that clearly means that, and it's not used, it casts doubts. And when you underhand the meaning of earth as land, it's like comparing the terms heartland and underground.