Originally posted by Craigbythesea:
I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. For 1500 years the Bible was understood to teach conditional security.
During the same period, we had the development of numerous false doctrines within the "church" such as prayer to saints, Mariolatry, relics and icons, the authority of tradition and papal decrees, the establishment of a Christian theocracy, etc.
The history of the "church" is very incomplete outside the "official" church. Most of what we know about those that rejected Rome comes from RCC condemnations of them. There is very little independent history up until the reformation.
John Calvin did precisely this and believed that he discovered truths in some verses in the Bible that no one had ever seen before.
No one? It seems that Calvin drew on Augustine's teachings.
I believe that God caused the Bible to be written in such a manner that the common reader could easily understand at least the major doctrines like salvation.
I agree completely... and therefore reject arminianism and all forms of conditional security.
And we know from history how the Bible passages speaking of salvation were understood throughout the history of the Church, and we know that for 1500 years they were understood to teach that salvation is conditional upon continued belief.
Augustine's support would certainly cut your 1500 years considerably.
As already mentioned, "the Church" prior to the reformation was the RCC. Anyone who taught something other than official church doctrine (against conditional salvation) would have been considered a heretic. They would have been persecuted and their views suppressed regardless of whether their scriptural evidence held water or not.
To cite historical interpretation prior to the Reformation places a level of trust in the RCC that I simply do not possess.
The belief in OSAS was a natural outgrowth of sola scriptura, the reassertion of the Bible as the only valid source for doctrine.
The early reformers did not have concordances that they could use to compare scripture with scripture, and all scriptures were interpreted to a very great extent out of context.
That is speculation on your part. The Reformers had a very great grasp of the text of scripture in Latin, sometimes Greek, and sometimes their vulgar tongues.
In fact, it is a remarkable statement by you. You first say that OSAS violates the historical interpretation of scripture then you provide the parallel between Bible study tools and the rise of the belief in eternal security.
That parallel does seem to be valid by the way, it is because of what I understand as the whole context of the NT teaching on salvation that I accept a calvinistic form of sotierology.