Craigbythesea
Well-Known Member
I suppose it is only to be expected that those who misconstrue the words of the beloved Apostle Paul would also misconstrue my words. After all, when a man has no data to refute the arguments of his opponent, the only recourses that he has are to admit that he is wrong or to misconstrue his opponent’s data. Personally, I have no desire to win a debate, even by telling the truth; my desire is simply to tell the truth and I am thankful that the owner of this message board allows me to do that.Originally posted by PastorGreg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Craigbythesea:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> So, you're saying maybe some of the Philippians later on lost their salvation, but it was o.k. for Paul to lie to them and tell them that they wouldn't?
He told me that I would be foolish to answer a question based on a misunderstanding of what I wrote, but to start at the top, and write as though I was writing to him. Sounds like good advice! (Nicolas is a smart kid).
Therefore:
• The Philippian Christians were very good Christians that loved Jesus.
• Paul saw that the Philippian Christians were very good Christians that loved Jesus.
• What Paul saw caused him to have confidences that the Philippian Christians would endure to the end.
• Paul loved the Philippian Christians.
• Paul wanted to encourage the Philippian Christians.
• Paul told the Philippian Christians that he was confident that He who began a good work in them would perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ.
• Paul’s words here express firstly confidence in the faithfulness of God, and secondly confidence the Philippian Christians.
• Paul did not lie because he really was confident in both God and the Philippian Christians.
• I did not say anything about some of the Philippian Christians loosing their salvation.
• I did imply, however, that Paul, in expressing to the Philippian Christians his confidence in them, was telling the truth and not a lie
• Expressing confidence IN someone is NOT the same as making a promise To them.
• Even Paul warned the Corinthian Christians that were confident that they stood to take heed that they do not fall.
• Paul was a good Christian.
• Paul did not lie.
• Paul told the truth.
• Paul honestly expressed his confidence IN the Philippian Christians TO the Philippian Christians to encourage them.
• Paul was not a fortune teller.
• Paul did not know for sure the fate of the Philippian Christians.
• Paul did not say that he did.
• Paul encouraged the Philippian Christians much as a football coach encourages his team.
• Christians need to learn Biblical hermeneutics so they can tell the difference between an expression of CONFIDENCE IN one particular first century church from a PROMISE TO all Christians.
• Everyone should pray before they read the Bible, while they are reading the Bible, and after they read the Bible.
Greg,
Would like to have Nicolas’ e-mail address?