1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apologetix?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Sep 17, 2005.

1. standingfirminChrist

Is it the music people are listening to? or the lyrics? many of the songs the music is so loud you can't hear the lyrics. And yet we hear 'It's great!'

makes ya wonder.....

2. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I was gettin e-mail from this band of woolly boogers for some time until they finally took me off their e-mail list. They are barking up the wrong tree to think I would consider their kind of "gospel music".

3. standingfirminChrist

People are trying to build their own tower of Babel by bringing worldly entertainment that feeds the flesh into the church.

Sad

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've heard songs by Apologetix before. They're not my thing, to be honest.

But I see no problem with them, scripturally, morally, or otherwise.

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great guys, great testimony. I've met them briefly at a concert venue. Remember they have a specific target audience. They're just trying to reach rock 'n' roll fans, young and old, with the Gospel. They do it by catching your ear with the music, and then when you realize the words are different, you listen! Get it?

And I might add that musically, their covers of the songs they do are quite good. Not cheesey at all. For them to do any less would, in my opinion, dishonor the Lord.

6. superdave

superdave New Member

I find it very entertaining, I think some folks in this thread take it a little too seriously, they aren't out to replace church music with it, its very specifically targeted and very very tongue in cheek.

I think comparing them to the tower of babel is a little harsh, or perhaps a little soft on those who built the tower of babel. I tend to think the desire to overthrow God is a little more serious than christian parodies.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The thread kinda reminds me of the time a mother griped at me about the clothes kids were wearing then. I then asked her about what her mother said. She told me that her mother said the same thing.

From time to time I kid my daughter and asked her when is she getting her hair dyed red, green or purple. She comes back quickly as if to say why would I be so stupid to want her to do that. When working with teenagers you have got to have a sense of humor and a positive spirit. Nobody likes to listen to a grump. When my grandmother was about 85 she told me she hated being around old people because so many were grumpy and always complained.

We came to visit my grandmother when she was 93. She asked if she could spend some time with my daughter who was ten at the time. My grandmother told us that she thoroughly enjoyed the time. It was wonderful to have a grandmother who spoke well of others and regularly helped people. She loved being around young people. Many thought she was my mother and looked very surprised when I told them she was my grandmother. She grew up poor, living in a sod house in the Midwest and then many years later became wealthy. One time I asked her about how her life was as a kid. She only completed the tenth grade but was always learning. Often she asked me about what I was learning in school. She would often give her money away to help people even when they did not have much to give. The last time she came to visit us was when she was 91 and flew on a five hour plane trip. She visited people regularly. She made most younger people look old by her attitude.

Young people don’t need grumps as their examples. They need godly people who will gently guide and direct them along the right path. The problem is that I see few old folks who genuinely care enough to show them how to share their faith and make disciples. If they would care that much then other things would seem pale by comparison.

8. standingfirminChrist

Young people do need godly people to guide them, yes. But is conforming to the ways of the world godly?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It has yet to be established by anyone that just because music is contemporary it is automatically conforming to the ways of the world.

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I don't have a problem with Apologetix. I think they have a place in today's music.

11. Erin

Erin New Member

I've finally heard one of their songs. I wasn't impressed at all.

12. standingfirminChrist

They may have a place in todays music, but that is not important.

Are they in the body of Christ?

13. standingfirminChrist

Rock and Roll music was in the world years before it was brought into the church. Why is it not considered conforming to the ways of the world?

14. nate

nate New Member

The piano was in the saloons before it was in the church why is this not conforming to the world? The World meets in buildings why is it when we meet in buildings it's not conforming to the world?

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Not a fan.

I saw them perform after a Sixers game last year.

As a band, they were, shall we say, less than stellar.

The problem with doing novelty songs or parodies is that it's clever the first two or three times you hear it and then, once the novelty wears off, the song has to stand on it's own merits and it's usually not very good.

Anybody remember Joe Diffie? That's what killed his career. He started doing novelty songs.

Does anybody remember Hank Williams, Jr for being anything other than the "Are you ready for some football" guy?

He was at one time a major talent, making some of the best Southern Rock and country rock on the scene. Then he started doing novelty songs. Now, he's a joke.

Wierd Al is very popular, but only among a relatively small niche. Most of his success comes from his associations with the artists who's songs he parodies.

Roger Miller was probably the only person who was able to do novelty songs and parodies (love that "Kansas City Star"), but that was only because he proved himself in so many other areas.

Even Pinkard and Bowden, both of whom had real songwriter and musician credibility (they wrote such hits as "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me", "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma", "The Waiting" and performed with the band that later became the Eagles, as well as hundreds of studio credits) were the first to admit that their parodies had a very short shelf life, and even made that part of their act.

Now Playing: Joe Williams - "An Evening at Basie's"