• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BIBLE REVIEW #1: Oxford Brevier Blackface

This is the first in what I hope will be an ongoing series of reviews of various Bibles that I own. I hope to highlight some of the pros and cons of each Bible as well as give a general overview of that specific Bible in hopes of helping others who may be looking to buy a new Bible. It should be stated that all opinions are mine alone and that I often hold views about what makes a Bible good or bad that others do not agree with.

THE OXFORD BREVIER BLACKFACE KJV

Published by Oxford University Press, Oxford, England

ISBN 0-19-111602-5

This Bible is bound in black French Morocco Leather and measures 7.5 x 5.25 inches and is 1.25 inches thick.

French Morroco Leather is often considered a cheaper alternative to a calfskin or goatskin binding, but in the case of this Bible it compares very well to most of the calfskin Bibles that I own. The leather is quite soft and has a pleasant buffalo grain texture to it. The Bible also will lay open at any point which is a real plus when doing Bible study. One of the failings of this Bible is that it only has one ribbon marker, I believe all Bibles should have at least two and I prefer three.

oxford%202.jpg


I do not believe this exact edition is still avaliable, but similar Bibles can be purchased from Allan & Sons Ltd. of Glasgow, Scotland in their own custom binding.

The typeface used in this Bible is self-pronouncing and tends to give the pages a slightly cluttered look. In addition, the typeface is old fashioned, it reminds me of what you might expect from a Bible printed around 1890 to 1910. I like that look, but I do understand that not everyone feels that way. It should also be noted that the Scripture text is on the small side, but it is also very bold, so I do not find it difficult to read at all. The same can not be said for the center column references which are so small that I have a hard time seeing them (and I have better than 20/20 vision).

oxford%204.jpg


One of the features of this Bible that I really enjoy is the 324 page "Oxford Cyclopedic Concordance." In addition to being a concordance, it also contains many other helps, lists, charts and pictures. It makes for very interesting and educational browsing. The reader will be informed on plants, animals, Bible chronology, manners and customs, weights and measures, coinage, Jewish sects et cetera.

oxford%205.jpg


One of the things that is very important to me in a Bible are the maps. I like knowing the where and when of what I am reading about and find that it helps me to put the events of Scripture into their proper context. There are 16 pages of maps at the back of this Bible with a total of nine maps and there is an index to the maps. I find the maps themselves to be a little dated and they do not cover as many themes as I would like. While they are useful, they are far from the best avaliable.

oxford%206.jpg
 
I am still using this little Bible and it still looks brand new. Even thought not a soul seems to have given a whit about this review, I may do another one soon. You have to admit that this beats the fights about Bible versions!
 

Amy.G

New Member
I am still using this little Bible and it still looks brand new. Even thought not a soul seems to have given a whit about this review, I may do another one soon. You have to admit that this beats the fights about Bible versions!
I care. I find it very helpful and I also love Bibles. I have had many. I have a Cambridge Concord in French Morocco leather that has the same typeface as the one in your photos. I love that little bible, but the quality of the print has been disappointing. The size and boldness is perfect, but all throughout it I find parts of letters that are not printed, like there wasn't enough ink to complete the printing. Some of the center references have this problem also and there are certain ones that the verse number is so light that I can't read it or it's only half there. This is frustrating considering what I paid for it.

I hope you'll continue with your reviews. :thumbsup:
 

RAdam

New Member
Amy, I have a Cambridge Concord French Morocco as well. Just a few months ago I purchased a wide margin Concord in goatskin and I think it is far superior to the regular Concord. The paper is thicker, and thus the type is easier to read. The font is slightly smaller, but now easier to read in that it is darker and has less blemishes than the regular concord, and the paper being thicker helps as well. Also, you've wide margins to take notes in. The goatskin leather is awesome, and the lined pages for notes in the back are excellent as well.

By the way, thermo, thanks for the review.
 

Amy.G

New Member
Amy, I have a Cambridge Concord French Morocco as well. Just a few months ago I purchased a wide margin Concord in goatskin and I think it is far superior to the regular Concord. The paper is thicker, and thus the type is easier to read. The font is slightly smaller, but now easier to read in that it is darker and has less blemishes than the regular concord, and the paper being thicker helps as well. Also, you've wide margins to take notes in. The goatskin leather is awesome, and the lined pages for notes in the back are excellent as well.

By the way, thermo, thanks for the review.
Blemishes. That is the word I was looking for. It is so irritating to see blemishes in the printing considering what Cambridge bibles cost.
 

Samuel Owen

New Member
Nice looking Bible Thermo. I don't especially like the in text self pronunciation, it sort of distracts me. That's a plus for my Old Scofield, and the Scofield lll, no self pronouncing text. There is a dictionary of proper names in the back, which also gives the meaning for the names.

Yep this is better than my Bible is better than your Bible, or KJV Vs. the Rest. :)
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Nice looking Bible Thermo. I don't especially like the in text self pronunciation, it sort of distracts me. That's a plus for my Old Scofield, and the Scofield lll, no self pronouncing text. There is a dictionary of proper names in the back, which also gives the meaning for the names.

Yep this is better than my Bible is better than your Bible, or KJV Vs. the Rest. :)

What do you think? RAdam has a copy in goatskin leather -- is that acceptable? I know you think that old manuscripts written in goatskin proved (at least in your mind) the pagan roots of the copyist. Do you now want to retract your foolish remark?
 

puros_bran

Member
Thermo, I'd love to see that TBS review... I've considered pulling the trigger on one of them for a couple days, would be nice to see a review before I did.
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
What do you think? RAdam has a copy in goatskin leather -- is that acceptable? I know you think that old manuscripts written in goatskin proved (at least in your mind) the pagan roots of the copyist. Do you now want to retract your foolish remark?

I'm sorry Samuel Owen. I inadvertently got you confused with Pilgrim 2009. My apologies.
 

Blankstare

New Member
I wish I could find an Oxford Blackface like that. I think Oxford has stopped making them. I do own one from RL Allan which is very nice, but if you clicked on the link the price is nice also!

I enjoyed your review, I also own the TBS Windsor, but do not have any pictures of it for display. I look forward to your opinions about that Bible as well.
 
Top