1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Border Wall with Mexico

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Benjamin, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually I considered that unless every area is constantly monitored, if the footing wasn't deep enough (my point, 5' isn't) , a guy like "me" (SuperBenlamin, [​IMG] that built his own 5,400 square foot house almost single-handedly and probably planted over 200 trees in his life, always digging 3 to 5' deep for fruit trees, dug trenches for water, electrical lines and footings, put up a 2000' chain link fences - with about 200 post holes - in 110+ degrees - in the middle of July - in the AZ desert, ...must I go on? ;) ) could, in fact, take a shovel and dig under a 5' footing in a day and beat a fence suggested as sufficient with footing like that rather easily.

Point being, if I could do it so could others and that I expect/predict that this "wall" is going to have a no nonsense higher standard than that which would allow such an easy breach. - at least, by someone [​IMG] like me. [​IMG]

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It could be done, but I would not say "rather easily". You would have to go down about 7ft, under the fence about 10ft and then back up 7ft. And it would have to be 3-4ft wide. I would like to see that in an afternoon......

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said a day not an afternoon and I'm not under any illusion that it wouldn't be a long grueling day and certainly not something I would look forward to. Even if it took 2 days or I brought a helper or two the point is a 5' footing is too easily breached. BTW, I've dug down to a 6" water line main 5' deep and under it to put on a saddle 3 times and twice, with some help, to repair that same line. Also, thinking about the job,digging right up against the footing where the dirt would break away and no dirt would fall in sounds pretty sweet considering the depth.

4. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Historians have debated for centuries whether or not Hadrian's Wall, and the Great Wall of China were effective. Some say yes and others no. But the Great Wall of China was never one continuous barrier. It was a series of non-connected stretches of walls (much like our own current southern border fence!). Where they were in place, they were effective in stopping raiders.

Maybe it would be better to look at a modern example. The Israeli wall was and is very effective according to Israelis who have manned it.

LINK - "I have seen this mechanism in action first hand, and have taken part in interception ops - gladly with no casualties. It is clockwork efficient. There is quite enough, more than sufficient, data to show to the dramatic effect of the fence. Where ever it is deployed, apprehension stands at 100%." - Noam Kaiser

#44 Lewis, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  5. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

As for the cost of completing the fence, a CNN study estimated the cost to be about $10 billion, and would take about four years to complete.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pentegon only took 16 months to complete - (6.5 million square feet) IMHO - it would be a lot easier to build a wall.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is not construction techniques so much as navigating property rights and wetlands, that sort of legal hurdles. All of it is doable, just look at the 1000's of miles within our Interstate highway system.

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There's no way you could get it done before they discovered you.....

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember that I would basically be on the Mexican side until my head popped up on the U.S. side under the cover of darkness... :)

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They have night vision from the sky and can see both sides. Hey, i keep hearing that Mexico is upset with us even building this wall. Now why would they care if it would not have any effect on their people at all?

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if they do have that ability and/or use it and track and capture any breaches then the depth of the footing wouldn't be as important in my view.

Yes, I think it is pretty reasonable to believe that Mexico is in for a yuge economical hit after the border is secure.

• Agree Agree x 1