I'm all for the legalization of pot all around, although I think that it's recreational use is a bad idea and is off limits to Christians.
I always feel like I have to make this disclaimer when I post this on a Christian board:
POT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND WE SHOULD DISCOURAGE IT'S USE AMONG OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILES. MY SUPPORT OF THE LEGALIZATION SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS CONDONING IT'S USE. MY SUPPORT FOR THE LEGALIZATION OF POT IS STRICTLY POLITICAL.
Now, that having been said, some of you here know my history with pot and that my experience taking care of my dad when he was dying is the reason I feel so strongly about this.
My dad was diagnosed with inoperable cancer. He was given six months, tops, and went from a strapping 220 pounds to a frail, emaciated 150 almost overnight. He lost so much weight that he couldn't sit or lie down comfortably because his bones would poke through his skin.
The doctors had him on every medication in the book and he still couldn't eat or sleep and he was in constant pain. One night, a family member and I asked him if he wanted us to get him some pot and he finally relented and agreed to try it. This was a little awkward because the only way we could do this was to admit that we had smoked pot, ourselves (but that's another story).
He started sleeping well, the pain was greatly reduced and he put several pounds back on.
There are people out there as bad off or as worse as him and the medication they have today does nothing for them. To have something that can help and then make it illegal is just cruel.