1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cessationism in 1Corinthians 13:8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by George Antonios, Feb 6, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Out of body having a finger or a tongue, Luke 16:24.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

'And he said, I pray thee, then, father, that thou mayest send him to the house of my father,
    and he said, No, father Abraham, but if any one from the dead may go unto them, they will reform. And he said to him, If Moses and the prophets they do not hear, neither if one may rise out of the dead will they be persuaded.'

I wonder if there might have been a resurrection out of the dead in physical and or spiritual body taking during this conversation between the rich man and the father of the faithful, Abraham?

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

There exists an interpertation that Lazarus in Luke's account is the brother of Mary and Martha whom Jesus rose from the dead as reported in John's account. A veiw not commonly held.

Both Lazaruses are generally held not to be the same person.

#43 37818, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that is the Lazarus Jesus had in mind in the telling of the event.

I would lean more toward it being;
    Eleven people in the Bible bear the Hebrew name Eliezer, which means “God is my help.” The first and most notable is Abraham’s trusted servant, Eliezer of Damascus, who would have inherited Abraham’s fortune if Ishmael and Isaac had not been born: “But Abram said, ‘Sovereign LORD, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?’” (Genesis 15:2). A common custom in those days was for couples with no children to adopt a servant as an heir to take the place of a firstborn son.
    Rather than
    From; Wikipedia
    Lazarus of Bethany (Latinised from Lazar, ultimately from Hebrew Eleazar, "God helped"),

What are the odds, that a man named, "God is my helper," who was sent to pick a wife for Isaac, the only begotten son of Abraham, died in the bosom of the Abraham, that is died of the faith of Abraham?

• Informative Informative x 1