1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church as a Rock Concert

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Jul 3, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for your reply. In fac t it's wonderful, very wonderful, rapturous songs.

GOD BLESS

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see it going both ways.

Many object to compositions like The Messiah because the actual music is secular (or was, at that time).

I think that we have to worship in Spirit and truth. This may mean worshipping in what is meaningful to us.

The music of the Early Church is dead in our culture (it is foreign to our ear, and it woud be difficult for us to identity with much less use it to worship without applying a false piety).

But I agree with you. The lasting aspect is actually Scripture and truth expressed in music (whether communicating doctrine or experiencing God in our individual lives).

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is still one of my favorites:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I cn say unto my brothers is the same my Lord says: John 15:1-7KJV

1 I am the true vine, and my Father (the Word, the Word is GOD) is the Husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit He taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, EXCEPT it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for WITHOUT me ye can do nothing.

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch (very hard and sad), and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

7 If ye abide in me, and my Words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Philippians 1:9-11
    9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in Knowledge and in all Judgment;

10 That ye may approve things that are EXCELLENT; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the Day of Christ. (the Lord's Day, the current seventh and last Day or seventh and last millennium)
    Hebrews 1:1-3

11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of GOD.

Amen

#24 Oseas3, Jul 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  5. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. - 1 Corinthians 15

6. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I actually recorded this at Liberty University some 15 years ago. Everyone there was elegantly dressed and the presentation fine...

7. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was right for you to be very disturbed and not return to such a church. Rock music is a worldly abomination that has no place in acceptable corporate worship of our holy God.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's TRUE.

The scenario of the Church was in the way the Devil likes, first because the whole development of the scenary was made exactly in according to his spirit, second because he already had that apostate church in his hands as a whole, leaded and guided through/by a fallen angel, and he would be among many others the most important spectator of that demonic presentation.
    God forbide us

To confirm the description above I call 1 Corinthians 10:21: -> 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of demons: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of demons.

GOD BLESS

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church Music throughout the Ages [LINK]
    All of us are to a great degree prisoners of our own times and our own tastes, of our church traditions and our character traits when we have to determine what we believe to be "good" church music. The appeal from some people, namely, to go back to "good" church music, immediately raises the question: back to the church music of what century? And for those who call us to return to good "Reformed" music, we must ask: to which Reformer? To which century of the Reformation? To what country?

What is often forbidden in church music in one century, became acceptable in a later century. This is particularly true of certain musical instruments. At one time the organ was rejected; now in almost all of our churches it is viewed as the musical instrument of the church. And whereas once the piano was suspected as "worldly," most of us today thoroughly enjoy good piano accompaniment with our singing.​

10. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I still go to church in clean trousers, shirt, and tie! And still enjoy the decent sanctified atmosphere!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite a while back a desperate alcoholic called my church and asked, “How do I get saved?”

The pastor took the call and the man came to know our Savior.

He came to church. I was the adult Sunday school teacher at the time and I was introduced to him. He was a rather unkept man and smoking.
    He said he wasn’t a good learner and knew nothing about the Bible. He was intimidated by everyone in the Bible class but he faithfully attended. I never mentioned his smoking.
    The way he clothed himself was never mentioned.
    I’m proud to call him a friend now.

Within two years he started an Alcoholic Anonymous Group at the church and over the next year brought about 30 alcoholics or drug dependent people into the church. It revitalized our church’s ministry. Church members were able to share what Jesus had done for them with people that were actively reaching out for help. There was no concern for how they dressed. The type of music didn’t matter. It was the love of Christ that answered their need.

Later a gay couple began to attend. Again our church stepped up. The pastor spoke to them separately and let them know where the church stood and that should a passage we were studying deal with that issue, he would deal with it.

Over the course of a year, one came to know our Savior. He leads a ministry at another church now.

You can dress up a pig and it’s still a pig.
    You can sing like a canary, but it’s still a bird.
    God looks upon our heart.

Every church is different. Each church draws people from different walks of life.
    It’s nice that you can separate yourselves from the dirty, nasty filth of worldliness.
    Jesus’ ministry wasn’t always so clean.
    He associated with the people of the street.

Rob

#31 Deacon, Jul 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like my kind of church.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My all time favorite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My second favorite

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I’m somewhere in the middle between the Royal Choral Society and Petra.

I can tolerate 5 minutes of Handle’s Messiah and maybe a minute or two of Reynolds’s Petra songs before I’m shutting down, using my ear plugs and opening a quiet book on my phone. :)

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

For Catholics, “Worship” is only in relationship to the Eucharist and The Eucharist is Liturgy.
    The music, the scripture readings and even the sermon, none of it is worship.

Jesus in The Eucharist is the core of Worship.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have as well. That’s not church brother, that’s a show! :(

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What changed my mind about what music is appropriate for church was what happened about 20 years ago in a church service I attended. The church band opened with ACDC Highway to Hell. Preacher preached a fire and Brimstone message. Band closed with Highway to Hell. Altar was packed and baptismal pools were packed for several Sundays following. Started a revival in that church that lasted for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is about the slowest you will catch me listening to.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I like this song as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.