• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservatives call for Gonzales' resignation

James_Newman

New Member
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1610738,00.html

The two-page letter, written on stationery of the American Freedom Agenda, a recently formed body designed to promote conservative legal principles, is blunt. Addressed to both Bush and Gonzales, it goes well beyond the U.S. attorneys controversy and details other alleged failings by Gonzales. "Mr. Gonzales has presided over an unprecedented crippling of the Constitution's time-honored checks and balances," it declares. "He has brought rule of law into disrepute, and debased honesty as the coin of the realm." Alluding to ongoing scandal, it notes: "He has engendered the suspicion that partisan politics trumps evenhanded law enforcement in the Department of Justice."
 

ktn4eg

New Member
One thing for sure, Gonzales is certainly making John Ashcroft (Bush's 1st AG) look pretty good, isn't he?

Let's see: We've gotten Imus fired so I suppose Gonzales is the next on our hit list. Wonder who's after him?

Scary, isn't it?
 
ktn4eg said:
One thing for sure, Gonzales is certainly making John Ashcroft (Bush's 1st AG) look pretty good, isn't he?

As bad as Gonzales is, Ashcroft still doesn't look good to me!

Let's see: We've gotten Imus fired so I suppose Gonzales is the next on our hit list. Wonder who's after him?

Scary, isn't it?

The situation with Gonzales began some time before the Imus thing; therefore, your statement doesn't make any sense.
 

ktn4eg

New Member
Terry (et. al.)--

[Please take the following in the spirit that it is intended.]

I'm sorry that my post doesn't make sense to you.

Did it ever occur to you that it's possible there may just be another way of looking at why I might have posted what I did?

Of course you certainly are entitled to your opinion(s), but just because yours may at times conflict with mine (or with any of our other BB friends [and I do consider you as my friend!], for that matter) doesn't mean that you must necessarily come down so hard on them, does it?

In fact, if you must know, my post was simply intended to add a little touch of humor.

Now, if it's your belief that humor is not something we Christians need to occasionally have , then I suppose that's your privilege.

OTOH, I tend to believe that even God probably has a sense of humor--otherwise He would not have made me!

Hope this clarifies the reason for my post. OK?

Blessings to y'all!
 
ktn4eg said:
Terry (et. al.)--

[Please take the following in the spirit that it is intended.]

I'm sorry that my post doesn't make sense to you.

Did it ever occur to you that it's possible there may just be another way of looking at why I might have posted what I did?

I was not complaining, just pointing out a seeming inconsistency.

Of course you certainly are entitled to your opinion(s), but just because yours may at times conflict with mine (or with any of our other BB friends [and I do consider you as my friend!], for that matter) doesn't mean that you must necessarily come down so hard on them, does it?

I didn't mean to sound "so hard."

In fact, if you must know, my post was simply intended to add a little touch of humor.

Now, if it's your belief that humor is not something we Christians need to occasionally have , then I suppose that's your privilege.

I enjoy humor, but I didn't know that was your intent
 

poncho

Well-Known Member
ktn4eg said:
One thing for sure, Gonzales is certainly making John Ashcroft (Bush's 1st AG) look pretty good, isn't he?

Let's see: We've gotten Imus fired so I suppose Gonzales is the next on our hit list. Wonder who's after him?

Scary, isn't it?

Rosie O' Donnel is next. She dared to ask some questions, in public! :eek: How un American!
 

Bro. James Reed

New Member
poncho said:
Rosie O' Donnel is next. She dared to ask some questions, in public! :eek: How un American!

I would not lose any sleep over that one.

I do disagree with the Imus firing.

I'm leaning towards Gonzales' resignation/termination. It certainly appears that he lied about his role in the attorney firings. He'd have been better off to say that he initiated their termination for not following the instructions of their superiors. That would have been the truth and it would have been perfectly warranted. He really screwed up.

My opinion is John Ashcroft was a much better AG. I also believe he had stronger principles.
 

saturneptune

New Member
Bro. James Reed said:
I would not lose any sleep over that one.

I do disagree with the Imus firing.

I'm leaning towards Gonzales' resignation/termination. It certainly appears that he lied about his role in the attorney firings. He'd have been better off to say that he initiated their termination for not following the instructions of their superiors. That would have been the truth and it would have been perfectly warranted. He really screwed up.

My opinion is John Ashcroft was a much better AG. I also believe he had stronger principles.
I am certainly no fan of George Bush, as he has betrayed every conservative principle in existence. However, he is POTUS, and he has the right to fire these attorneys at his pleasure or will. If Gonzales made recommendations, the ultimate choice was the President.

Why does everyone blame Gonzales for decisions that the President has the right to make without question? If he lied or mislead about this or other situations, why dont you all make arguments for those points, and not this one, which is mute.
 

Bro. James Reed

New Member
saturneptune said:
I am certainly no fan of George Bush, as he has betrayed every conservative principle in existence. However, he is POTUS, and he has the right to fire these attorneys at his pleasure or will. If Gonzales made recommendations, the ultimate choice was the President.

Why does everyone blame Gonzales for decisions that the President has the right to make without question? If he lied or mislead about this or other situations, why dont you all make arguments for those points, and not this one, which is mute.

I agree with you on each point raised.

What I was saying was, Gonzales screwed up in not telling the truth about the firings, and by trying to dodge the issue by saying he wasn't involved.

The President has the right to fire anyone under him for not following his directions. He is the chief Executive in charge of law enforcement, so all federal attorneys fall under his direction. If they choose to do something contrary to what he feels is correct, he has the authority to terminate their employment.

I hope you didn't construe my comments as anything different than that. I don't think Gonzales necessarily did anything wrong in the firings, but if he did lie about his involvement and the reasons, he should be canned. The AG should not be lying to the public just to save himself from some perceived embarrassing press coverage.
 
Bush has the authority to replace these attorneys at any time. The problem is that it now appears that Gonzales lied; if he hadn't lied it would have looked like the firings were done for strictly political purposes. It this had happened, it would have made Bush look bad, therefore the evasive tactics.
 
Top