skanwmatos
New Member
For some reason most of the people on this forum act as if the meaning of a word as they understand it must be the one and only meaning of that word.
I hate coconut. When I was a kid I ate some cookies with coconut in them and got violently sick. Ever since then I can't eat coconut without becoming nauseated.
My friend loves coconut. He loves it so much he even calls his wife "my little coconut."
Is there anyone who actually believes the word "coconut" means the same to him as it does to me?
If I were to call my wife, "my little coconut" she would be hurt, knowing that I hate coconut, and that it makes me vomit.
Words have emotional anchors in our background and experience. Thus, they mean different things.
The word "inerrant" being, as it is, wrapped in the theology of biblical infallibility, now has an emotionally charged meaning to many people here, and they are unable to divorce their emotional background and experiences from the meaning of the word itself. God is perfect, and as the word of God is "inerrant" it must, therefore, be letter perfect, and no other understanding of that word is permitted.
"I know what I know" seems to be the watchword for many of us. Unfortunately, we know what we know but we really don't know why we know it. We just do. Emotional based certainly, regardless of what reality we must deny in order to enjoy that certainty.
I hate coconut. When I was a kid I ate some cookies with coconut in them and got violently sick. Ever since then I can't eat coconut without becoming nauseated.
My friend loves coconut. He loves it so much he even calls his wife "my little coconut."
Is there anyone who actually believes the word "coconut" means the same to him as it does to me?
If I were to call my wife, "my little coconut" she would be hurt, knowing that I hate coconut, and that it makes me vomit.
Words have emotional anchors in our background and experience. Thus, they mean different things.
The word "inerrant" being, as it is, wrapped in the theology of biblical infallibility, now has an emotionally charged meaning to many people here, and they are unable to divorce their emotional background and experiences from the meaning of the word itself. God is perfect, and as the word of God is "inerrant" it must, therefore, be letter perfect, and no other understanding of that word is permitted.
"I know what I know" seems to be the watchword for many of us. Unfortunately, we know what we know but we really don't know why we know it. We just do. Emotional based certainly, regardless of what reality we must deny in order to enjoy that certainty.