1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God ever permit divorce?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sanderson1769, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Could "hardness of heart mean blinded or unbelief"

Mark, chapter 16
    "14": Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Only in the cases of fornication as I see it. That is my question all along and what I wrestle with all the time.

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I've heard it said that Baptists are more accepting of murder than they are of divorce. What say ye? Can a murderer become an elder or pastor and someone who's divorced (even for good cause like physical abuse) cannot?

3. standingfirminChrist

Brother Bob,

As I see it, 'hardness of heart' deals with becoming cold and callous toward the marriage partner rather than unbelief. Notice that verse says unbelief 'and' hardness of heart. They are two separate things.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That is true StraightAndNarrow; Just ask Apostle Paul. [​IMG]

I agree sfiC; but was just wondering if others had ever thought about "hardness of heart".

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

6. standingfirminChrist

it is interesting that Jesus said Moses allowed divorce because of 'hardness of heart'. But Jesus does say it was not meant to be that way from the beginning.

7. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Someone mentioned an "abusive marriage" and advise.

First, a true Christian is not abusive.

1Co 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Paul said if an unbeliever wanted out of the marriage to let them go, really, what else can you do, the believer wasn't "bound" to remain in an unloving relationship, but to make an honest effort.

In a case such as this, I don't think God would condemn a "victim of circumstances" who remarried as much as the one responsible for those circumstances, God does judge the "intent" of the heart.

Divorce doesn't totally destroy your spiritual relationship with God, all continue to sin, but for a believer, if the divorce was your fault, you could be in for some serious chastisement.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Me4Him;
    I take it your cut on this:
    A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases, is the brother or sister is free to marry again, even if it was not for fornication?

sfiC;
    Looks like the Lord give Moses a lot of leeway don't you think?

9. standingfirminChrist

yes, Brother Bob. that is why I said God permitted it to happen, but it was not His will

10. standingfirminChrist

checked out yer page, Brother Bob.
    Love the song There Is A Fountain.

Listening to your Valley Song. Great singing and great voice. Continue using it for God, my Brother.

11. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Since God had to give Israel a divorce, he gave man the right to divorce, under the same conditions, as was said, none of it is God's will, but sinners is all God has to work with, and sin is never finished until death.

I just glad when Paul ask for the thorn of sin to be removed God said his Grace was sufficient to cover the sin.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks sfiC;
    For a 67 year old I guess its not too bad. I introduce all my sermons with a song.

13. standingfirminChrist

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't that Sandy Patty?

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

All I can say which hasn't been said already is this SANDERSON guy is a great source of healing for those who have encountered spiritual abuse by these kind of churhes he preaches at.

All i have to do is point someone to any one of his post to show them, see you were in a whacked out church that wasn't God centered but man centered. and let the healing begin.

Thank Mr. Sanderson for all your help [​IMG]

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

However, it does not explicitly say that. The exception clause may be limited only to the permission to divorce. How do you know?

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Is marriage a contract or a covenant?

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

paidagogos;
    True its does not say but if the scripture said:
    putteth his wife away and marry another committeth adultery. It takes marry another to committ adultery, agree? Then the Lord put in the word "saving" and I would assume it means and marry another does not committ adultery. I wouldn't know any other way to read that Scripture.

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Since God had to give Israel a divorce, he gave man the right to divorce, under the same conditions, as was said, none of it is God's will, but sinners is all God has to work with, and sin is never finished until death.

I just glad when Paul ask for the thorn of sin to be removed God said his Grace was sufficient to cover the sin.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I have a problem with your exposition. How do you know it was a thorn of sin?

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Divorce is sin. Any man who abandons his spouse is sinning even if he doesn't remarry--he has broken the lifetime covenant. So, it is possible for adultery to be grounds for divorce without allowing for remarriage. Grammatically, one can argue either way whether the exclusion clause applies to one or both acts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.