1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Election before believing !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Mar 21, 2024.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good one!

8 And Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
    9 And the Lord said unto Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak and hold not thy peace:
    10 for I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to harm thee: for I have much people in this city. Acts 18

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. Jn 10

1 Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith Jehovah. Isa 54

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; Break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: For more are the children of the desolate than of her that hath the husband. Gal 4

#21 kyredneck, Jul 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  2. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the spiritual blessings that comes to the elect, after having been chosen in Christ before the foundation Eph 1:3-4

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

It is to be able to hear the Gospel of our Salvation, the word of truth, and believe and be sealed unto the day of redemption Eph 1:12-14

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

3. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That God’s precognition or foreknowledge, connected with his purpose of grace to save his elect, goes before his actually calling them[in time] in effectual conversion, is beyond debate. “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren; moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called, and whom he called, them he also justified, and whom he justified, them he also glorified.” Rom.8:29-30

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This deals specifically with 2 Timothy 2
    I've tried NOT to introduce theology that is not specifically associated with the passage.

DEFINITION OF TERMS
    elect
    = God’s chosen people

2 Timothy 2:10 (LEB)
    Because of this, I endure all things for the sake of the chosen, in order that they also may obtain salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

2 Timothy 2:10 (NET 2nd ed.)
    So I endure all things for the sake of those chosen by God, that they too may obtain salvation in Christ Jesus and its eternal glory.

2 Timothy 2:10 (NASB 2020)
    For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.​

ANALYSIS
    • Paul’s point in this passage is that Timothy should endure for the sake of the chosen.
    • There is no time element apparent in this statement of 1 Timothy.
    • Neither Paul, nor Timothy, (nor you or I), know those whom God has chosen.
    Any yet, Paul endures and encourages Timothy to do likewise, in order that those chosen may obtain their salvation.

It isn’t Paul’s and Timothy’s suffering that obtains their salvation,
    …the salvation became available through Christ Jesus.​

How is that salvation obtained?
    Paul preached his gospel (2:8) despite suffering, so that the chosen might obtain that salvation.

Could they obtain salvation in the absence of the preaching of the gospel?

The chapter ends with a faithful statement which reinforces the previous declaration (2 Timothy 2:11–13):

The saying is trustworthy, for:
    If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
    if we endure, we will also reign with him;
    if we deny him, he also will deny us;
    if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.
    (ESV)​

Did the translators of the KJV reveal a doctrinal bias here...

if we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. (2 Timothy 2:13 AV 1873)
    Rob

#24 Deacon, Jul 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing new about the faithfulness of God.

3 For what if some were without faith? shall their want of faith make of none effect the faithfulness of God?
    4 God forbid: yea, let God be found true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy words, And mightest prevail when thou comest into judgment. Ro 3

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1