1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Enduring to the End

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Dec 31, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We as fallen human beings fail to understand the perniciousness of sin. The two great commandments are to love God with ALL of our heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Have I ever loved God with ALL(100%) of my heart, soul, mind, and strength? NO! And I never will while living in this fleshly body. Have I ever(100%) loved my neighbor as myself? NO! And I never will while living in this fleshly body. Even if I could clean up all of my outside actions(which I can't), sinful thoughts would still persist. Besides, we read in James 3:8 that no one can control their tongue. I have no righteousness of my own, it is outside of myself - it is Christ's PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS imputed to me, just as ALL of my sins were imputed to Christ at the cross.

If anyone has any doubts about the perniciousness of sin, just read what an apostle of Christ, Paul, wrote about it(especially note his anguished cry for deliverance toward the end of the passage):

Romans 7:14-25 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

(emphasis mine)

#41 KenH, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do Christians think our salvation was obtained by our fulfilling certain terms and conditions? Nope, salvation does not depend on the people who will to be saved or work to be saved, but upon God alone, Romans 9:16.

Did we think "enduring to the end" was a condition to be saved? Nope, we think we will endure to the end because we are saved, 1 Peter 1:3-5.

Are we "puzzled" by the thought our salvation is conditional? Nope, once saved, always saved since we will never perish is our firm conviction. John 3:16

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are preserved we do not persevere to the end... Persevere is for the here and now in discipleship, its an action of Christian love, to receive blessings from God... We do not have to persevere for Eternal Salvation because Christ took our place as our substitute and persevered for us... We are preserved... Study the doctrine of Preservation... Finally Van something you and I can agree on... Brother Glen:)