• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV Vs. God's Word

Phillip

<b>Moderator</b>
Funny, even with all of your posts that I have tried..... to read; I have no problem understanding the Message. Besides, when you say God's Word, is that a particular translation? I don't have time to go back ten pages and read what you said in some post about that. Just curious.
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Comparing & Contrasting Bible Versions ...

...in the book of Job.

Chapter 32

v.13
ESV : Beware lest you say
GW : So don't say

Chapter 33

v.6
ESV : was pinched off from a piece of clay
GW : was formed from a piece of clay

v.10
ESV : he finds occasions against me
GW : God is only looking for an excuse to attack me

v.17
ESV : that he may turn man aside from his deed
GW : He warns them to turn away from doing wrong

v.18
ESV : his life from perishing from the sword
GW : their lives from crossing the River of Death

v.19
ESV : Man is also rebuked with pain on his bed and with continual strife in his bones
GW : In pain on their sickbeds,they are disciplined with endless aching in their bones.

v.20
ESV : so that his life loathes bread,and his appetite the choicest food
GW : so that their whole being hates food and they lose their appetite for a delicious meal.

v.26
ESV : and he accepts him
GW : will be pleased with them

v.30
ESV : that he may be lighted
GW : to enlighten them
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job 34

v.2
ESV : give ear to me
GW : Open your ears to me

v.8
ESV : walks with wicked men
GW : associates with evil people

v.11
ESV : according to his ways he will make it befall him
GW : will give each person what he deserves

v.13
ESV : who laid on him the whole world?
GW : Who appointed him to be over the whole world?

v.15
ESV : all flesh would perish together
GW : all living beings would die together

v.20
ESV : In a moment they die;at midnight
GW : They die suddenly in the middle of the night.

v.26
ESV : He strikes them for their wickedness in a place for all to see
GW : In return for their evil,he strikes them in public

v.33
ESV : Will he then make repayment to suit you
GW : Should God reward you on your own terms

v.36
ESV : Would that Job were tried to the end
GW : let Job be thoroughly tested
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
We're In The Latter Chapters Of Job

Chapter 35

v.9
ESV : the multitude of oppressions
GW : The weight of oppression

v.13
ESV : Surely God does not hear an empty cry
GW : Surely, God doesn't listen to idle complaints

Chapter 36

v.6
ESV : gives the afflicted their right
GW : He grants justice to those who are oppressed.

v.10
ESV : He opens their ears to instruction
GW : He makes them listen to his warning

v.11
ESV : their years in pleasantness
GW : their years in comfort

v.13
ESV : The godless in heart cherish anger
GW : But those who have godless hearts remain angry.

v.16
ESV : He also allured you out of distress into a broad place where there was no cramping,and what was set on your table was full of fatness.
GW : Yes, he lured you away from the jaws of trouble into an open area where you were not restrained,and your table was covered with rich foods.

v.20
ESV : when peoples vanish in their place
GW : when people disappear from their places

v.23
ESV : Who has prescribed for him his way
GW : Who can tell him which way he should go?

v.30
ESV : covers the roots of the sea
GW : covers the depths of the sea

v.32
ESV : commands it to strike the mark
GW : orders it to hit the target
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job 37

v.7
ESV : He seals up the hand of every man,that all men whom he made may know it.
GW : He makes it impossible to do anything so that people will recognize his work.

v.13
ESV : Whether for correction or for his land or for love,he causes it to happen.
GW : Whether for discipline,or for the good of his earth,or out of mercy,he makes the storm to appear.

v.24
ESV : he does not regard any who are wise in their own conceit.
GW : He does not respect those who think they're wise.
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job 38

v.5
ESV : who stretched the line upon it
GW : Who stretched a measuring line over it?

v.28
ESV : who has begotten the drops of dew
GW : Who gave birth to the dewdrops?

v.36
ESV : Who has put wisdom in the inward parts
GW : Who put wisdom in the heart

v.37
ESV : Who can number the clouds by wisdom?
GW : Who is wise enough to count the clouds

v.38
ESV : when the dust runs into a mass and the clods stick fast together?
GW : when the dirt hardens into clumps and the soil clings together?

v.39
ESV : Can you hunt the prey for the lion,or satisfy the appetite of the young lions
GW : Can you hunt prey for the lioness and satisfy the hunger of her cubs
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job 39

v.2
ESV : Can you number the months that they fulfill
GW : Can you count the number of months that they are pregnant

v.4
ESV : grow up in the open
GW : grow up in the wild

v.7
ESV : He scorns the tumult of the city
GW : He laughs at the noise of the city

v.17
ESV : because God has made her forget wisdom
GW : because God has deprived it of wisdom

v.21
ESV : he goes out to meet the weapons
GW : It charges into battle.

v.29
ESV : From there he spies out the prey;his eyes behold it afar off.
GW : From there it seeks food,and its eyes see it from far away.
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job :Fait Accompli

40:4
ESV : Behold I am of small account
GW : I am so insignificant.

40:9
ESV : Have you an arm like God
GW : Do you have power like God's?

40:12
ESV : bring him low
GW : humble them

40:13
ESV : bind their faces in the world below
GW : cover their faces in the hidden place

41:3
ESV : Will he make many pleas to you?
GW : Will it plead with you for mercy?

41:4
ESV : Will he make a covenant with you
GW : Will it make an agreement with you

41:9
ESV : Behold the hope of a man is false;he is laid low even at the sight of him.
GW : Certainly any hope of defeating it is a false hope.Doesn't the sight of it overwhelm you?

41:22
ESV : In his neck abides strength
GW : Strength resides in its neck

41:24
ESV : His heart is hard as a stone
GW : Its chest is solid like a rock

41:26
ESV : Though the sword reaches him,it does not avail
GW : A sword may strike it but not pierce it

41:30
ESV : His undeparts are like sharp potsherds
GW : Its underside is like sharp pieces of broken pottery

41:33
ESV : On earth there is not his like
GW : Nothing on land can compare to it.

41:34
ESV : He sees everything that is high;he is king over all the sons of pride.
GW : It looks down on all high things.It is king of everyone who is arrogant.

42:8
ESV : I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly.
GW : I will accept his prayer not to treat you as godless fools.

42:11
ESV : Then came to him all his brothers and sisters
GW : Then all his brothers and sisters ...came to him.

42:16
ESV : saw his sons,and his sons' sons
GW : He saw his children,grandchildren,and great-grandchildren.
 

Phillip

<b>Moderator</b>
41:33, NET:

"The likes of it is not on earth"

NASB is better: "Nothing on earth is like him" (Cf. NRSV)
Tom, I think he is committed to use much of the storage and transfer space of our great owners who have to provide the storage and capacity for verses he could simply list the location because I don't know many here without e-sword (my favorite) where you can get a lot free and that includes the ESV (which is nice of them since most moderns charge).

I don't know anybody here who takes the time to read all his posts so let him post until he's tired of clipping and pasting. All he has shown me is that he knows how to select text and use Cntl-c and Cntl-v. He'll get bored someday, hopefully. I just hope all this DATA doesn't slow the board down. I have a lot of respect for the owners and expect that their equipment cannot be overloaded by a clip-n-paste happy poster.

Then he can't understand why people thinks he's KJVO because that is one of their main methods of showing different verse comparisons which anybody who has read much at all understand as meaning the exact same.

I read my five year old The Living Translation because he Understands it. I use my ESV for comparison and study and I don't compare verse for verse because if you don't read at least a whole chapter--if not the book-- you may miss the whole point of a verse. Verse to verse comparisons mean little to me. Like you said in another thread, its not apples to apples.

It depends on:

Translation style

Texts used

Quality of English capabilities of translators (this is the reason I like committees who have English specialists run over the results to see how it matches English. The translator may be good at translation, but may be weaker in English grammar.)

Whether or not it is an upgrade of an older translation and may still contain some older language.

I have used two translations during my younger life, (except when I was a child and could read the Living Bible Paraphrase and I don't think I went away with any bad theology from reading those wonderful stories a kid could understand.) The two I used as I grew older in High School, college and after were KJV and NASB. I use a lot today including the ESV, NJKV and others.

This gives me a good cross section of both the NT text forms and I'm spending time learning Greek so I can translate myself (hopefully).

I like the ESV and enjoy reading it. I even read the Holman Bible (which was translated for the SBC church so they could hopefully quit paying the enormous price of the best seller in their bookstores the NIV.) Of course, they didn't do a good job of marketing it so its kind of fading away since they didn't seperate it enough from Lifeway and the SBC issues that have hurt the cause of conservative Christians. But, no group is perfect. I've been attending a church where my daughter goes because I cannot find a church that too liberal or too conservative and would rather go more conservative than take a risk. I'm disagree with the pastor on KJVO, he knows it, and although he usually brings it up at least once a service, it doesn't kill me to disagree. You put 100 Baptists in a room and every single one will disagree on some theology. If he wants his KJV, then I have no problem, I read one too. The only sad part is the kids get bored and don't understand it just like I did when I was 5-11 or so. My daughter lets me read my Living Bible to my grandson at home. She knows it won't hurt him. He's five and understands the stories, I read a KJV and he wants to go play.

I leave the ESV for myself. Each translation has its place; if people will really think about it. God tends to carry His message forward, and he gives us brains to discern based on our study.

Maybe Rippon gives a generous donation to pay for his dataspace haha!
 

Rippon

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Job 1:5

At the end of the verse the ESV has :"Thus Job did continually."

These days the word 'thus' means 'therefore.' But the older English that the ESV uses meant "in this way or manner." The ESV just retained what the RSV and KJV before it had.

GW is much clearer:"Job offered sacrifices for them all the time."
 
Top