1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured First Baptist Church Naples

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by church mouse guy, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So there is no core beliefs/doctrines that makes it a Baptist (in this case SBC) church. I would think that would tend to lead to a great deal variance on them in the church, one versus the other. Any pastor could decide he wants to teach his own idea, lets say on the nature of the GodHead, and cause issues unless there is a core standard for the churches.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh I have already shown you this is not true. Nit sure why you want to hang on to this fallacy.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC churches are independent churches. Each church can make their own doctrines because they are Baptist churches.

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don’t they generally believe the Baptist Faith & Message? I do.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally. I have seen some reject the current one in favor of a previous one, and some not the whole thing.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh that is not exactly true. If their doctrine veers out of baptist distinctives they cant be told what to do but they can be disfellowshiped. By nature baptists do not make their own doctrines outside of those distinctives.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. That was what I meant by the "because they are Baptist churches" part. But the SBC has absolutely no control over a church's doctrine.

8. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a bit of a surprise, my understanding was they had a convention where doctrines and beliefs were ironed out.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a lot of people think that. But the reason churches are in the SBC has nothing to do with doctrine. The main reason is missions (supporting the cooperative program is a requirement to be SBC) and pooling resources.

I joined my current church a couple of years ago (we relocated to SC). This is the first time in over a decade I have used SBC resources.